Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Kids Day at Arts Fest - 2011


OH MY! 12 hours on my feet and bent over to help kids has officially killed me - but oh what a blast!

So the Pic you see is sideways - I cant fix it - but its balloons made up into a Carbon Nano Tube. At 7 in the morning it was just a white hula hoop. By Noon it was like this. The kids made triangle balloons  and together they formed Benzene rings. It was amazing!


Setting up at 7 am we had this little guy. He kept sitting on my shoes as I was setting up tents. We named him Carbon. I know I know. It was too early. Our coffee machine BROKE and we were doing chemistry. What else could we do?



These were actually the slow times. We had six tents with many MANY kids. If you look in the back of the second picture you can see the nanotube being formed.
At these two tents they learned about measurement and what nano and Carbon was.

There as also a tent for liquid nitrogen ice cream - VERY POPULAR, we also had Helium Balloons, a tent that showed density with salt water and golf balls and Kool Aide solutions, and a bookmark making site. At that tent we took black construction paper cut up into bookmark type things and dipped them into a solution to make an AWESOME Bookmark. (They don't show up well in pics or I would show you.) But the solution was just water and 1 drop of clear finger nail polish. You hang them to dry and in 20 min you have a beauty of a book mark.



 (My photos hate me) 
We also had a lava lamp tent. There kids made their own mini lava lamps to take home. We  had 1300  of these suckers and ran out too soon! But to make your own - Fill a coke bottle about 3/4 of the way with veggie oil. Then in a separate cup add 2 drops of food coloring to water. Then add about 5 drops of that colored solution to the oil. Then add half an alkaselzter tablet. Put the lid back on once it quits fizzing. Very Very Fun.

By the end of the day we were all exhausted but it was sooooo rewarding. The kids came with families, camps, the Special Stars Needs Center came and the children from there were so in tune with the colors and bubbles that they said they wanted to be scientists. 

I am going to take a bath now though because I am SORE!

Leave a comment if you want to know anything more about what you can do at home to let your kiddies in on what FUN science is!

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like a fun and exhausting day! I'll have to remember the lava lamp to do with my kids.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had a blast - I am beyond tired - but I think it was worth it. I have a bunch of science things to do at home for kids if you ever need anything like that. I work with outreach so I do demos every week. :-)

    ReplyDelete