Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Denise Tompkins is Back and to Ready Talk Romance!



Hi Everyone!

Denise Tompkins is back!  I was lucky enough to sit down with Denise AND her characters Maddy and Bahlin! Please sit back and enjoy! And be sure to leave a comment or questions for Denise as we love comments as much as chocolate!

Who are your favorite authors? 
            I have to admit I have three, all women, who are all my favorites: Larissa Ione, Diana Gabaldon and Laurell K. Hamilton. I buy anything these women publish, usually in both traditional and digital versions. I’ve met Diana Gabaldon and must say she’s the most amazing woman. I’ve chatted with Larissa Ione and find her a charming, highly compassionate and down-to-earth individual whom I seriously admire. I’ve not had any interaction with Laurell K. Hamilton, but hope to meet her someday.
What are your favorite series/books?
            Anything those three women write are always on my favorites list. But I have a few others.
            As a child (nine or ten) I read Watership Down. Though I didn’t understand the political and social nuances, the story itself helped shape my desire to become a writer. I had written stories since first grade, but that novel showed me what a writer could be.
            I also absolutely love Shel Silverstein. A master of words, I would read his books over and over, always finding little things I’d missed. He was a true artist.
            In reality, this list could go on forever and a day, so I’ll say that I truly enjoy Mary Janice Davidson, most of JR Ward’s Black Dagger Brotherhood series, a specific trilogy by Nora Roberts, James Patterson, Jennifer Crusie and more.

If you could spend a day with your favorite character – what would you do? Details please!
            Oh man! This is a seriously tough question! (high fives Carrie Ann)  Okay, if I could spend the day with my favorite character above, it would have to be with…(types and deletes names a thousand times in indecision)…Jean Claude from Laurell K. Hamilton’s Anita Blake series. He’s seriously wicked in all the right ways, with a the perfect balance of dark and light to his soul.
            I’d want to be introduced to many of the vampires, go to Guilty Pleasures as his guest and ask the thousand questions I have about him. I’d do my best to keep my hands to myself since Anita’s a little trigger happy, but I’m sure I’d, uh, slip now and again.
            If you’re asking me about which of my characters I’d want to spend the day with, the decision is impossible to make without some serious rock, paper, scissors. I’ll have to get back to you on that one!
Describe your heroine  - is she anything like you?
            The heroine in Legacy shares quite a few similarities with me. She’s smart, sassy and slightly broken. She starts out Legacy seriously lost in life, and she doesn’t start to really get her feet under her until book two, Wrath. Then you see the evolution gather momentum. Yes, that personal evolution starts in Legacy, but (without providing spoilers) there are some things that happen that truly set her back.
            Wrath sees her setting boundaries and remembering what a strong woman looks and feels like, and she goes from craving it to carving out her own place in the world in which she finds herself an unwitting member.
Describe your hero – is he your dream?
            The hero to the Niteclif Evolutions is definitely my dream. He’s an Alpha male who prefers an Alpha female, and he finds that in Maddy. He’s hard yet tender, incredibly intelligent, and so devoted to his woman that he tends to evoke sighs from me as I work with him on paper. He’s funny, charming and a sexual creature with the skills to back up his desires. J  What’s not to love?
Maddy – What was your first impression of Bahlin?
(snorts) Slightly insane, wholly delusional jackass. Who meets a total stranger and goes all insistent that the paranormal world exists? (glares at Bahlin) Who invades a stranger’s dreams without invitation? (softens and laughs) But it worked out. He’s ridiculously handsome – don’t let it go to your head, Bay – and his Scottish accent is to die for. He’s very professionally driven. He saved my life a time or two and I’d like to think I returned the favor. He still won’t answer me about whether or not he’s eaten people in the past, but it’s probably better I don’t know.
Maddy -  What is your favorite part about him?
            I love flying with him. It’s the most exhilarating thing in the world.
Bahlin – What was your first impression of Maddy?
            (Glances at Maddy and narrows his eyes) She’s stubborn. Aye, she’s a head for the truth, but it’s a damn hard head for all that. (ducks as she swats him and he grins) But my first impression? She was beautiful. (his face softens and he looks at her) Dressed in that slip of a dress, her hair mussed from sleep…she was stunning. I knew then I was lost to her. (clears his throat) So, she’s a beautiful pain the arse.
Bahlin – What is your favorite part about her?
            She’s a fine woman, brilliant, really, and she takes her responsibilities seriously. I knew when we me that Maddy would be a bang up Niteclif. She’s tough, assertive and hell bent on making sure justice is delivered accurately and fairly.
Maddy – Do you think you are ready for what is to come?
(closes her eyes and a small tremor passes through her before she opens large, green eyes and meets your gaze head on)  Time will tell. I’ll either succeed or—

(Bahlin leans forward) She’ll succeed. She’s no other choice.

When Fate makes you her bitch, accept it and adapt. Or die.
 Looking back on the wish she made on Midsummer’s Eve, Maddy Niteclif should have been more specific. She only wanted to escape the shadowy nightmares that plagued her nights, not to be thrust into a completely altered reality.
 If a strangely familiar, sexy dragon-shifter named Bahlin, who causes a never-to-be-mentioned-again fainting spell, isn’t enough to make her question her sanity, his insistence she’s the Niteclif ought to do the job. Prophesied super-sleuth of the supernatural world—a world that desperately needs her help—isn’t a job she’s remotely qualified for no matter what her family tree says.
 Catapulted into a very different London ruled by dark mythology, mystery and murder, Maddy makes a few startling discoveries. Paranormal creatures exist. Getting shot really sucks. And her body responds remarkably well to dragon magic—in more ways than simple wound healing.
 But in this kill-or-be-killed world, reality bites. And Maddy must choose to go back to what she knows…or stay and fight for the man she knows she can’t live without.
 Warning:  This book contains a shape-shifting dragon with a Scottish accent, modern and archaic weapons, global inter-species politics that make democracy seem mild, some very steamy sex underground, a severed head, murder, and…oh yeah…a woman caught in the middle of it all.

Add links here for your website and where we can buy books. Any images you have will be helpful. I will add that we will see you again
You can reach me at:
Follow me on Twitter at @DeniseJTompkins
www.samhainpublishing.com
(30% discount begins September 18, 2011 until release!)
And anywhere else Samhain titles are sold.

Thank you so much Denise for stopping by! In case you missed her last post - be sure to click the link! And remember leave a comment if you'd like b/c they make us happy! :-) 






8 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for coming Denise! I loved Legacy, and I know others will too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was a fun interview. I love dragon shifters and I added it to my TBR pile. Thanks for the chance.

    mythic021@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great interview, can't wait to read it!

    Eva
    evitap67(at)gmail(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the chance to enter this giveaway!!! =)

    Valerie Long
    just.val.1974 at gmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Loved the interview. I really do enjoy learning about the authors behind the books. By the way, I like your cover.

    unionadvance4ever(at)gmail(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the interview and the chance to win!

    julieguan AT gmail DOT com

    ReplyDelete
  7. The book sounds great! The warning leaves me with an inexplicable need to read it... It's on my TBR list now!

    Mierke_Maria(at)hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete