Friday, September 16, 2011

Soul Savers with Kristie Cook - and a Contest!


Hi Everyone!
For my second stop of the Romancing Your Dark Side Book Tour, I am pleased to have Kristie Cook.


What is Promise about?
Promise kicks off the Soul Savers Series with the love story of Alexis and Tristan – how they met and hooked up and the consequences for their people and the rest of the world. It’s also about a young woman learning her way in a world she barely understands (and isn’t allowed to know yet) and the promises her life holds for her and everyone else.
Was there anything special that gave you the idea to write this?
Not any one special thing sparked the idea. I’ve wanted to write about angels and demons for years, but until this one, no story idea came to me. When reading some online forums about whether supernatural creatures could be real, I played the “what-if” game with myself and asked, “What if they were real and they were pissed off that all these authors were writing about them?” Then this character just started whispering in my mind – an author whose fantastical characters truly existed. Then came a scene of a woman finding out some startling truths about herself. All of this culminated into the idea that became the beginnings for the Soul Savers Series. I started with that scene, then explored the characters, then learned how they came to that scene. Promise and its sequel, Purpose, were the result.
On a scale from  1 – 10 , how would you describe the hotness/romance of your book. 
I get a lot of YA cross-over readers, so it’s all about perception. If Harry and Ginny are a 1 and Edward and Bella are a 10, Alexis and Tristan are a 20. Ha! But for most readers, if Edward and Bella are a 1 and Mac and Barrons are a 10, Alexis and Tristan are about 8.5-9. On a grand scale, if “Fade to black” is a 1 and “Whoa! I can’t wait for my man!” is a 10, my books are probably about a 7 or 8. But again, it’s perception and depends on what you usually read…and what “can’t wait” means to you, exactly – impatience or actually not waiting. *winks*
So who is your favorite romance author? Why?
I don’t read too much straight romance. It’s almost always paranormal and sometimes YA. So this one is hard for me. Most recently, I’ve enjoyed Karen Marie Moning’s Fever series, but I don’t know if it really counts as romance because that’s just one part of the story. But she knows how to write some hot romance. She also does well in drawing it out, heightening the sexual tension. I don’t know that I’d call her a favorite, but she’s the first to come to mind right now.
What are some of your favorite romance series/books? Why?
I defer to the previous question. If it counts, I’d say the Fever series is among my favorites. Also, on the YA side (and if it counts), The Mortal Instruments series by Cassandra Clare. They both have smokin’ hot, naughty but internally vulnerable alphas that are…er…exciting.
Who is your favorite romance character? Why?
Well, I’d have to say Tristan, otherwise he wouldn’t be in my books. Ha! Although, I admit that I’ve been a little unfaithful with Jericho Barrons. He’s so mysterious and sexy and man, what he can do to a woman!
If you had to go on a date for ONE NIGHT with that character-  what you you do? Details please! *wink*
Really? Do I even need to answer this? Okay, if it’s not obvious… With either one of them, if it was only for one night, we’d skip the preliminaries, lock the bedroom door and jump right into…their heads. You thought I’d say something different, didn’t you? As an author, though, I’d have to at least try to get out of them what they’re so hesitant to share about themselves. I’d want to know their story – their whole story. Of course, neither one of them would probably ever share, so then we’d jump in the sack. Haha!
Alexis – What was your first impression of Tristan?
I suppose it’s no secret that the first word that came to me is “beautiful.” I mean, that is in the book. But that was just a euphemism for my real first thoughts, which were, “How hot—”… (*slides her eyes over to Tristan, who’s leaning forward with intense interest and a confident smirk*)… “How hot does he think he is? Just another cocky jock with no brains.” (*glances over at Tristan and smiles coyly*)
Alexis – What is your favorite part about him?
Um…my absolute favorite part? (*gives Tristan a once over, eyes lingering, then blushes and looks back*) Do I really have to say? Just look at him! Let your imagination wander. Yeah, in that direction. (*glances at Tristan again, who has an incredibly dazzling but wide grin* *shakes head and sighs*) Now look what you made me do. He’ll use that for all it’s worth. Oh, well, not that he doesn’t already know how much I enjoy that part.... What he doesn’t get, though, are my other favorite parts. Like his mind. We are such opposites in the way we think. And his heart. He just doesn’t see what I do, how beautiful he is inside as well as out. I get to see the sweet side of him no one else does and that’s really my favorite part.
Tristan – What was your first impression of Alexis?
Young. Naïve. Distrustful and closed off. But before that… (*looks at Alexis and smirks*) …what a hot little body she has. She’s sexier than I’d ever expected.
Tristan – What is your favorite part about her?
Can an avid reader truly say she has one favorite author? Can a musician truly say he has one favorite artist? Can a gourmet chef truly say he has one favorite dish? Every part of her is my favorite and it often depends on what flavor I’m in the mood for. (*winks*) To be serious…her eyes and not just because they’re big and beautiful and lock me in their gaze, but because they really are a window into her soul. She’s more comfortable sharing her feelings with me now – sometimes to an extreme – but when we first met, they usually gave the only indication she felt anything at all.
For the two of you – What do you see in your future?
Alexis – Hope, love, togetherness, family.
Tristan – Sex. Or did you mean longer term? Not just the immediate future? Well, then…challenges, loss, pain, but hopefully togetherness. We don’t do so well when we’re apart.
 So – back to your work Kristie! Is Promise part of a series? And what is next for you?
Promise is part of a series – the Soul Savers Series. The second book, Purpose, is now available and the third book, Devotion, releases in early 2012. There are seven books total in Alexis’s story, but there are also some side stories that will be told. The first is Genesis: A Soul Savers Novella, which releases in October.

Thank you so much, Carrie, for hosting us! Alexis and Tristan asked me to thank you, too, before they ran off. For the bedroom, I’m sure. Sheesh. Those two…

About the Author
Kristie Cook is a lifelong, award-winning writer in various genres, from marketing communications to fantasy fiction. She continues to write the Soul Savers Series, with the first two books, Promise and Purpose, available now and the third book, Devotion, coming February 2012. She’s also written a companion novella, Genesis, coming October 2011.
Besides writing, she enjoys reading, cooking, traveling and riding on the back of a motorcycle. She has lived in ten states, but currently calls Southwest Florida home with her husband, three teenage sons, a beagle and a puggle. She can be found at:

Author's Website & Blog: http://www.KristieCook.com

Promise
When Alexis Ames is attacked by creatures that can’t be real, she decides it’s time she learns who she really is, with or without the help of her mother, who guards their family’s secrets closely. After meeting the inhumanly attractive, multi-talented Tristan Knight, however, Alexis retreats behind her façade of normalcy…until she discovers he’s not exactly normal either. Then their secrets begin to unravel.

Their union brings hope and promise to her family’s secret society, the Angels’ army, and to the future of mankind. But it also incites a dangerous pursuit by the enemy – Satan’s minions and Tristan’s creators. After all, Alexis and Tristan are a match made in Heaven and in Hell.

Purpose
Lost in despair, Alexis teeters on the edge of an abyss, her lifeline of hope fraying into a thin thread. If it snaps, she’ll plunge into complete darkness. With the help of her son and her writing, she’s been able to hold on. Until now. Erratic impulses, disturbing delusions and her own demonic blood threaten her sanity. When she’s forced to choose between hanging onto hope or letting go to serve her Amadis purposes, she faces a decision with inconceivable sacrifices.
Alexis runs to the one place she thinks will provide answers, only to find herself at the center of another battle of good versus evil, not only with the Daemoni, not only within herself…but also against the worst opponent imaginable. But even if she wins, what will she lose?
Promise Review
I found that at the beginning I really had no idea where to book would go - and liked it. I found myself wanting to know more about the characters and see where it was going - so I kept turning the pages. After reading so many books over time I usually can tell you the plot before if happens – here it was different and I loved that. I loved the fact that I couldn’t guess what happened!
I enjoyed the fact that Alexis and Tristan’s relationship built from a friendship rather than just a love at first sight – soul mate thing. I love either case but I think the way it was written was perfect for the characters. I thought that this was a different sort of novel that held you close and never let you go. I really enjoyed the book and am eagerly anticipating reading the second and third books in the series.  Kristie Cook’s world is vivid and descriptive and keeps you wanting more.



13 comments:

  1. In that whole interview one thing really caught my eye: It's all about perception. That is so true! I love that so many people can read the same thing and see different things. Thanks for the interview!
    -Dawn aka dawnmomoffour
    thedoyle6@rogers.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Friends and soulmates, gotta love that! Great interview and congrats on the book releases :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Dawn and Jennifer for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great interview, I love when you do these type of interviews with the book characters. Can't wait to read it :-)

    Eva
    evitap67(at)gmail(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  5. thank you for the amazing interview :)
    i love to read more about authors and their characters so thanks

    danielsangel101@yahoo.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great interview! I loved reading Promise and Purpose, Kristie Cook is an amazing writer :)
    I don't know if this is open for internationals, but if it is then: melissa_rob16@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great interview, I love the insight :)
    Breezyobreezy(at)aol(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  8. That was a frigin' awesome interview!! So many times interviews are dry. I loved it, and can't wait to read these books :o)
    tinas_family3(at)yahoo(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  9. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That's why I prefer books to movies. I prefer my peerception over others.

    Ladysarahofscots(at)gmail

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great interview and thanks so much for this generous giveaway opportunity too!!! =)

    Valerie Long
    just.val.1974 at gmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  12. I think you get more enjoyment out of a book when you can create your own world :) Its always going to be different! Great interview and loved the heat rating!!!
    viajeradelmar@aol.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love this author and the book looks terrific! edysicecreamlover18@gmailDOTcom

    ReplyDelete