Monday, October 3, 2011

Heather Thurmeier & Love and Lattes


Heather Thurmeier is with me today talking about her new release Love and Lattes! Join me in welcoming her!



Tell me about Love and Lattes.
      Simply put, Chase and Julia have a one-night stand, then they find out he’s her new boss. Yikes!

Here’s the blurb!
Chase gave up hope of ever finding someone interested in more than his wealth—then he met Julia. She could be the one to tame his player ways, but can their love survive once he becomes her new boss?
Chase has given hope of ever finding a woman who wants something more than just his family name. Julia is funny, incredible sexy, and finally, after two years of playing the field, Chase gets a chance to date a girl who’s interested in him, not his status.
Julia can’t forget the night of passion she spent with Chase after dancing at the club. When she runs into him on her first day at a new job, she’s thrilled to see him again—until she learns he’s her new boss.
Julia doesn’t know what to think when she’s threatened to stay away from Chase and then overhears gossips painting him as a player and Julia as his new toy. Should Julia heed the threats and gossip or is a chance to fall in love worth the risk?
What made you choose to write about this?
I was sitting in a bookstore coffee shop working on edits for my first novel and I was looking for new ideas. I saw a young couple walking around the bookstore and they were obviously still at the new and awkward stage in their romance. The plot bunny hopped to life. Of course the book changed a bunch in the process of writing and editing, but that’s where the original idea came from. I’m happy to say Chase and Julia sailed past the awkward and uncomfortable stage and landed squarely in the hot-for-you stage instead!
Rate Love and Lattes in terms of steaminess.
Hmm, it’s definitely not a four-alarm fire, but it’s more than a spark. I’d say it’s somewhere around a smolder. You know that perfect fire for roast marshmallows? The one where the logs are warmed and glowing a deep reddish-orange and the heat radiates straight from the core, warming even those who are sitting a few feet away from the fireside—the controlled, intense flames gently licking the marshmallow, slowly turning it to a molten hot ball of goo? Yeah, that sounds about right.
Did I just make marshmallows sexy? Mmm, marshmallows…
Who is your favorite romance Author?
Oh boy. Ask a harder question, would ya? I think I have too many favorites to name them all, but if I had to pick a couple, it would be Molly Harper for paranormal romance and Jill Shalvis for contemporaries.
What is your favorite romance series/book?
Well, to continue from above it would be How to Flirt with a Naked Werewolf by Molly Harper and the Lucky Harbor series by Jill Shalvis.
Who is your favorite romance character? Why?
I’m gonna have to go with Noah from The Notebook on this one. I have read many other romance heroes who are totally awesome, but Noah still stands out to me. The way he loves Allie through it all just makes my heart melt. And the end of the book, when we learn of their final moments together… Well, let’s just say I’m a romantic through and through and Noah shows a strength and loyalty I can’t resist.
I’d also never turn Edward Cullen away on a dark and stormy night. “Are you sparkling just for me?” *blush*
Or Eric Northman. Does he count? He and Sookie were just smooshing on an episode not long ago and declaring their love for each other. That has to count as romance, right? Romance, smomance I’ll take Eric.
If you could take that person out for a date, what would you do? Details Please!
I supposed I would like to take Noah (or Edward or Eric) out on a date to… Wait a second! This question is going to get me in deep trouble with the hubster…
<ahem> So given the opportunity to “meet” Noah (or Edward or Eric…sigh), I’d take him for a nice cup of coffee in a very public place. Perhaps we would laugh over a plate of cookies about the great loves of our lives before shaking hands and bidding each other good day.
Yeah, sure, right… That’s what we’d do. ;)
Julia – What was your first impression of Chase?
Well, when I first met Chase, he saved me from thirst since the bartender with blinders on wouldn’t take my order. Then Chase walked up and my heart dropped to my totally-sexy-but-torturously-uncomfortable boots. He looked so put together and unbelievably handsome in his button-up shirt. He must have seen my mouth gaping open like a guppy out of water because he asked what I wanted to drink and it magically appeared in my hand a few seconds later. He was my personal knight in shining armor that night. Only his armor was a crisp cotton shirt I wanted to wrap myself in, a designer watch that probably cost more than a year’s worth of rent for me, and a smile so sexy I melted a little more each time he sent one my way.
Julia – What is your favorite part about him?
He’s genuine. He’s not one of those rich frat boys who never grows up and gets a real life. He would never throw his money around. He would never use his name to get what he wants in life. What you see is what you get with him. He’s not putting on any kind of act to try and be what people expect him to be. He’s just Chase. And he’s a pretty fine kisser too!
Chase – What was your first impression of Julia?
That she was smokin’ hot and whatever guy was stupid enough to leave her alone for even a minute wasn’t worthy of being with her. Lucky for me, she was there alone. She was obviously not from the Meadow—I would have met her before if she had been. She was beautiful and didn’t seem to know it. And the oddest thing of all was she didn’t seem to know who I was either. Man, I can’t remember the last time that’s happened in Meadow Ridge. Probably never. Everything about her was refreshing and intriguing and I instantly knew I needed to learn more about her.
Chase – What is your favorite part about her?
Oh man, where to start. Well, I could play the guy card and say she has a couple of “assets” I’ve always loved, but that wouldn’t be fair to her. She’s so much more than boobs. Although hers are really great. I’m a boob man. Okay, off topic. Never mind. Is it hot in here? One thing I’ve always loved about Julia, even since the moment I first met her at the bar, is that she’s okay with being who she is. She’s not worried about what people think of her and she’s never trying to impress people. Sure, she’s nice to everyone—even people who do not deserve it—but she never tries to be someone she isn’t just for the sake of getting someone to treat her better. She’s happy to just be Julia, the girl who loves a good romance novel, and who’s happy to sit in the park with a latte and a cookie just to enjoy the nice day.  God, I love that girl.
Heather  – What is next for you? Is Love and Lattes part of a Series? 
Love and Lattes is part of the Meadow Ridge Romance series. All of the books will have characters who come from the Meadow but the stories may or may not take place there. The next in the series is Love on Landing. It’s about Julia’s best friend, Tali and her love story. In it, we’re whisked off to Paris with Tali while she goes on a spontaneous retail therapy trip to cure her broken heart. Little does she know that her family has hired a new pilot and he’s oh so sexy… Oh. So. Sexy. Tali finds a whole lot more on her trip to Paris than she expects to—she finds herself, her passion, and she might even find a love she never saw coming. Love on Landing will be available in spring of 2012.


Thanks so much for having me on your blog today, Carrie! This interview was super fun!!

My links:

Email: heatherthurmeier@gmail.com
Twitter: @hthurmeier
Facebook: Heather Thurmeier, author

Barnes and Noble: http://bit.ly/osFiIB
Silver Publishing: http://bit.ly/pHyRgD

Love and Lattes excerpt:

Elbowing her way through the crowd, Julia Walker finally reached the bar and attempted to flag down a bartender. She wiggled her fingers at the one nearest her as he walked by. Of course, he stopped at a woman further down and leaned across the bar to hear her order. As far as she could see, other people seemed to be trying the same tactic as her own. If the drinks lining the edge of the bar were any indication, all of them had apparently been more successful than she had.
Sighing, Julia propped her head in her hand and resigned herself to the fact she wasn't likely to get a drink anytime soon. In a normal setting, people looked right through her. Why had she thought the bar would be any different?
Why is coming to the club fun?
Maybe if she was tall and blonde, with her breasts bursting out of her top like so many of the other women she saw around the bar, she'd stand a chance of being noticed. But, with her straight black hair falling slightly above her shoulders and a dress only providing a hint of what hid underneath, she simply couldn't compete.
She surveyed the dance floor from her position at the bar but couldn't make out her friend anywhere in the sea of people. Julia had never been to Oasis before, even though there were only three clubs in the neighborhood. Her friend and roommate Tali had sworn she'd stay by her side so Julia wouldn't end up standing alone and bored the entire night. But where's Tali now? They'd gotten separated almost as soon as they'd entered the bar, with men naturally flocking to Tali's side, hoping for her attention.
The club was inside the gates of Meadow Ridge, so all the customers were either born and raised in the Meadow--which meant they were stinking rich--or they were students from the local university like she was--which meant they were dirt poor and barely scrimping by on meager student loans. Tali fell easily into the first group and Julia did not. Somehow, they'd remained friends regardless of the difference in their bank account balances.
Julia turned away from the dance floor and back to the bar. She needed a drink soon. She was already dehydrated from the hot, sweaty club and hadn't even danced yet. Sending her most award-winning smile directly at the bartender, she waved her hand again. He looked right past her to the girl in the see-through dress, which may as well have been non-existent for all the coverage the flimsy material provided.
A man in a dark blue button-up shirt suddenly blocked her view. "Hey," he said, smiling at her with perfect Hollywood teeth, bending down until his mouth brushed her earlobe. His warm breath caressed her delicate skin. "You look like you could use a drink. Can I get you one?"
You could get me more than a drink, I'm sure.
He must have been about six feet tall, with the most gorgeous sandy-brown hair. His features were sharp and defined with a strong jaw and chiseled cheekbones. Even though she could tell he was only a couple of years older than she was, he looked far too distinguished to be mingling in a club full of students and twenty-something singles. The warmth of his breath at her neck sent a tingle along her flesh.
"You can try." She finally found her voice enough to answer him. "I haven't had much luck yet."
"What'll you have?"
"A Cosmo."
He leaned across the bar and instantly a bartender wandered over to take his order.
How'd he do that?
She couldn't hear his words over the sounds of music pounding through the club, but moments later a frosty martini glass filled with bright pink liquid was at her lips. The tart cranberry instantly quenched her thirst as the heat of the liquor quieted the butterflies in her stomach.
"Thanks," she shouted, hoping he could hear her over the noise. She reached into the small clutch she'd brought filled with essentials and pulled out a couple of neatly folded bills. Before she could offer them to him, he put his hand on hers, shaking his head.
She should have insisted on paying. She wanted to pay. But the moment his hand touched hers, every thought she'd ever had vanished. The only thing she could focus on was the heat of his touch. His hand lingered on hers and she would swear she could feel actual sparks firing against her skin. Does that really happen to people?
She'd read plenty of romance novels that talked about the chemistry--the spark between two people--but she'd always thought an actual spark sounded a bit farfetched. Stuff like that didn't happen in real life, did it?
Her eyes sought his, finding the most interesting kaleidoscope of colors she'd ever seen. Flecks of blue, brown, and green intermingled to create eyes she wanted to stare at forever. "The next one's on me."
"There'll be another?" He gave her a teasing grin.
Oh, damn. She began to sweat and wondered if her assumption about another drink had been completely wrong. When he'd bought her this drink, he was probably just trying to be nice to the poor, thirsty girl at the bar. He most likely had a girlfriend somewhere in the club waiting for him right now and wondering where he was.
"No, I didn't mean that. I just wanted to repay you for this drink since you were so nice to buy me one. That's all. I'm sure you have someone else to buy you the next drink, so you won't need me too. Of course it's not like you need anyone to buy you a drink, I'm sure you can afford to buy your own drinks--" She shook her head and sighed under her breath. Damn it. At the ripe old age of twenty-two, she still couldn't speak to men without getting flustered.
His grin spread across his face and she thought she heard a small chuckle escape his lips, but it was impossible to know for sure over the dance music relentlessly thumping through the speakers. "On second thought, I'd love it if you'd buy the next round."
He's exceptionally cute when he smiles.


19 comments:

  1. A great interview! I already have a copy of Love and Lattes. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much for having me on your blog today, Carrie! Those questions were super fun to answer!!

    @Jessica, Thanks for coming by and for already having my book! Squee!! Can't wait to hear what you think.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can honestly say that because of your character interview I am TOTALLY going to go buy this book now! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great interview and i'll be putting it on my to buy list :)
    reginamayross@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Terrific interview and excerpt. :-) Maybe happy sales!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great excerpt! I look forward to checking this out. Many thanks!

    mljfoland AT hotmail DOT com

    ReplyDelete
  7. LOL I love how she gets flustered when she's trying to explain herself. I think a lot of women can connect to that moment. This book's going on my TBR list!

    smyth(dot)mirriam(at)gmail(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi ML and Mirriam! Thanks for stopping by. One of the qualities I love about Julia is that she gets flustered and isn't always as sure-footed as she'd like to be—I've been there!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sounds like my kind of book! I believe I would really enjoy it. The title is cute!

    Thanks for the chance to win and read and congratulations on the release!
    kendraedens@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi

    Great interview. Looking forward to reading this book. I have see many great reviews for this one.

    Thanks for the chance
    Pam
    tpibrew@msn.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. I LOVE these two characters! Chase sounds just like my kind of guy - not for his money, but simply for that cute grin.
    Amd what fun to get your inspiration from your bookstore cafe! Must go and visit my local one soon!
    paulamartinromances@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Paula,

    Thanks for stopping by to comment, even though it took a couple of tries! Chase is a great guy. He was so much fun to write!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great interview Heather! I already have my copy of Love and Lattes. Can't wait to read it:)

    ReplyDelete
  15. The winner of LOVE AND LATTES is GzNKz4evr! Happy reading!!

    Thank you so much to each of you for stopping by and commenting!

    ReplyDelete