Friday, October 21, 2011

An Interview with Jaz Primo's Characters


Hi Again! Jaz Primo is here with the Romancing Your Dark Side Tour!


            Hi Jaz – tell me again about Sunrise at Sunset!
Hi Carrie Ann, and thanks for having me on your blog again! Sunrise at Sunset is the first novel in my Sunset Vampire Series. Katrina Rawlings is a deadly vampire who falls in love with an innocent human named Caleb. An adversary from her past seeks revenge against her through Caleb. As dangerous traps unfold, Katrina and her closest friends desperately track her elusive enemy while also striving to protect the man she loves.

Here's the official teaser:
When is a bloodthirsty predator the best protection against a psychotic killer?
When the predator is both a vampire...and the woman you love.

“We vampires are focused and tend to shape our own realities.”
My name is Katrina Rawlings, and I am a vampire. I declare that with neither pride nor ego. I am simply nature’s most dangerous predator. On occasion, it’s a very valuable quality. It helped me protect Caleb Taylor one day when he was very young. But that single, traumatic day is behind him now; wiped from his memory, or so I hope.
Caleb has finally matured into a rather striking young man, and believe me, I like what I see. I’ll readily admit that there are issues for us to confront and overcome, though a sense of mutual commitment isn’t one of them. I’m feeling hopeful for our future together, in fact. But an adversary from my past has returned to haunt me, and she’s trying to get back at me through Caleb. That was her first...and last...mistake. I’ll protect my Caleb at all costs, and I’ll make her regret the day she was born.
So, I suppose that I’m not just a vampire. I’m about to become someone’s worst nightmare!

Do you have a favorite character you have worked with?
(Jaz) Well, that's a little like asking someone to pick their favorite child. I have loved working with each of my primary characters, but I will confess that I've enjoyed working with the vampire Paige a lot more than I thought I would. She grew on me quickly, and was only supposed to be a lesser character in the series. However, she made her presence known to me, as well as making it clear that she had no intentions of being a secondary character. She told me, "Listen, mister, I'm top billing, and you're going to want me to take a larger part in your series. After all, I'm Katrina's best friend and Caleb's surrogate." Then she tried to misquote a line from Dirty Dancing about "nobody keeps Baby in the wings" but I called her on that. Needless to say, she's a major part of the Sunset Vampire Series now...and a fan favorite! *laughing*


Katrina – you declare yourself simply nature’s most dangerous predator – can you back that up?
(Katrina) Rest assured, I'm always more than happy to make a believer out of anyone who tries to hurt Caleb or attempts to come between us. In fact, I'd gladly refer you to others to corroborate my claim, but I'm afraid that they're all dead. Next question?


Katrina – What made you decide to protect Caleb?
(Katrina) Today, it's easy to answer that question: I love him. But you really have to have been there to see him on the day that we first met. Following a rather harsh encounter with the morning sun, there I was: a partially-burned being lying beneath a tarp-covered old car in his garage. The smell alone must have been twice as repulsive as I must have appeared. *arching her eyebrows* Oh sure, he was as curious as the next eight-year old might have been, but it was how he reacted when he realized that I was injured. I tried to get him to leave that musty garage, but he determined that I needed help and he was willing to make a difference. It's likely that I could have died without his assistance. It was just so. . .remarkable. . .in hindsight. There's such an innocence and sincerity about him, both as a youth then and as an adult today, that transcends what I've seen in most humans. Frankly, after that, protecting Caleb was the least that I could do. And I've never regretted a moment of it.


Katrina – What was your first impression of Caleb?
(Katrina) *smiling* Honestly, I had two first impressions. First, as an eight year old, Caleb was cute, innocent, and rather awkward as one might expect of someone his age. Yet, there was a touch of nobility in him, as well as an underlying sensitivity. Nearly twenty years later, we met a second time, but it was like a first meeting all over again. In fact, it definitely felt like meeting an entirely different person. Gone was the overtly-awkward child that I remembered, instead replaced by a mature and physically attractive young man with beautiful blue eyes. He took my breath away. Yet, I still sensed a subtle timidity in him, as well as the remnants of a wounded personality from the abuses that he had suffered as a child.


Caleb – What was your first impression of Katrina?
(Caleb) *grinning* Now that my childhood memories have been restored, I recall the events that Kat spoke of from the day we first met. She had rescued me from an actively abusive father, so I felt relief, as well as admiration and gratefulness towards her. But until recently, my first memory of her would have been the day she appeared in the back row of my college history class over a year ago. I recall standing at the lectern calling roll, and when my eyes met Kat's, I was mesmerized. I've never seen any woman quite so beautiful and captivating before.
*Katrina reaches out to hold Caleb's hand in hers*



Katrina – Are you comfortable being labeled a “female Alpha?”
(Katrina) I find it more amusing than anything else, really. A few years ago, I would have been called a "strong, independent woman." Forty years ago, I would have been called an "angry women's libber." A century ago, I would have been scandalized as "an unforgiving bitch who doesn't know her place." The nuances in language don't really matter to me. I'm who I am. For others, perhaps it's more comfortable to some women that the evolution of acceptance for independent and capable females has softened. In the end, with titles cast aside, not much has changed for me. I can still kill my opponents as easily today as I could five centuries ago. *grinning*
(Caleb) Oh, she's a regular Wonder Woman. *smiling*
*Katrina playfully nuzzles the side of Caleb's neck and softly kisses him*
(Caleb) With fangs, that is.


Katrina – Does that translate to a place more private? *wink*
(Katrina) *smirking* Oh, I'm very comfortable asserting myself with Caleb. And he seems to relish it, I might add.
*Caleb blushes and attempts not to look mortified*
(Katrina) Yet, I can be conventional when I want to be. I'm sure that even Wonder Woman enjoys lying on her back now and again. *winking at Caleb*


Caleb -  (as I back away from Katrina) – I fell for you as soon as I met your adult self – how do you mentally prepare for a relationship with a vampire?
(Caleb) Aww, thanks so much, Carrie Ann. I'm very flattered! Well, I'm hardly a vampire relationship expert, but it seems to me that you have to have a sense of trust with your vampire partner. At first, it unnerved me to be around vampires when they're hungry, but I trust Kat implicitly now. And it's true that you need to prepare yourself for certain environmental sensitivities. For example, if you have a habit of leaving curtains open on a sunny day, you may want to have UV-filtering put on all of your windows. And you have to give up a little refrigerator space for packets of blood. Although humans do gain a lot of cabinet space in the kitchen in return; vampires don't cook a lot or eat much human food. And if you startle easily, you have to become accustomed to your partner zipping around the house and appearing seemingly out of nowhere...
*Katrina gently clears her throat*
(Caleb) Hmm? Oh, sorry, I digressed. Most of all, I think that the traditional tenants of a healthy relationship are true whether your partner is a vampire or human: good communication, trust, love, mutual respect, and a sense of caring for the other person.


 For all of you – Where do you see this going? What do you see in your future?
*Katrina glances lovingly at Caleb*
(Katrina) I see many happy days spent with the man of my dreams.
*Caleb smirks*
(Caleb) Really? Anybody I know?
*Katrina runs her fingernails lightly down the back of Caleb's neck.*
*He shivers slightly from the tickling sensation.*
(Caleb) Oh, I'm seeing a lot of happy days with Kat, for certain. Although I would imagine that trouble is just around the corner, too. I'm a bit of a trouble magnet. It's always on my horizon somehow.
*Katrina frowns and her eyes flash bright green*
(Katrina) Oh, I'm very good with handling trouble, my love.
*Jaz smiles*
(Jaz) It would seem that there will be many happy days of writing about what the future brings for Katrina and Caleb. I hope that new readers will happily join in on the journey, too. Of course, the third Sunset Vampire novel, Summit at Sunset, comes out in January 2012, so folks won't have to wait very long for the next adventure!
Thanks so very much for hosting an interview with all of us, Carrie Ann. This has been really wonderful!
(Katrina) Thank you, Carrie Ann. You've been very kind.
(Caleb) Yes, thanks! This is my first interview, in fact!
*Katrina adopts a sexy, yet predatory, expression*
(Katrina) Oh, I'll be very happy to conduct a private interview with you later, Caleb.
*Caleb smirks*
(Caleb) Lucky me, then.


Want to find Jaz Primo? Try these locations near you!
Website:   http://www.jazprimo.com/
Blog:   http://primovampires.blogspot.com/
Sunset Vampire Series Facebook Page:  http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/The-Sunset-Vampire-Series/223514840998333
Twitter:   @jazprimo

10 comments:

  1. Really fun interview. I enjoyed the whole thing. Awww Jaz I just love when opposites just can't keep their hands, fangs,whatever off eachother...or on. Semantics right? Who cares. I enjoyed it. Oh and I can't forgot to say thank you to the characters also.

    ReplyDelete
  2. loved the interview :)
    reginamayross@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the interview! I was wondering if Paige is based, loosely if at all, on anyone you know. She sounds like a really fun person LOL
    Thanks for the giveaway. Still plugging for the kindle at the end, and of course, supporting my fav authors :-)
    -Dawn aka dawnmomoffour
    thedoyle6@rogers.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great interview was a hoot !! Now a question for Jaz ... you like to write about alpha femailes, hot and strong willed... and take charge .. Is this how you like you lovelees In real life lol.. ALpha and all !! ** waggles eyebrows lol **
    thanks for the post guys !!

    kat

    kittee_cat@bigpond.com

    BTW your character has a great name !!! ** KAT ** grins

    ReplyDelete
  5. What's the hardest part of deciding what to leave in a book and what to take out? Loved the interview and can't wait to read it!

    macladie25 at yahoo dot com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jazz,
    I can't wait to read this series! Do you know how many books will be in this series? Will Paige have her own spin-off book(s)?
    Thanks for the contest/giveaway!

    Lea Ellen {night owl in IL}
    borg_66@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks to everyone for your wonderful comments and questions!
    Here's my responses to questions posed thus far:

    @Dawn: Actually, the vampire Paige isn't like anyone that I have known. However, I would very much love to know someone like her. LOL

    @Katrina: As a matter of fact, I absolutely love and cherish strong women in my life, and they hold a definite allure for me in many aspects. *wink and grin* I think that independent, self-confident women are so sexy!

    @Melanie: Oh, that is such an excellent question, Melanie. As a writer, you really want to tell readers about all aspects of your characters, including their thoughts, desires, and personalities. However, you never want to include content that might water down the central storyline or cause a boring diversion for readers. Instead, this challenge forces me to write tighter, succinct sentences that carry necessary meaning while also not slowing down the story.

    @Lea Ellen: I'm not certain how many novels will comprise the Sunset Vampire Series. However, I already know how the series ends, and I suspect that it will require at least two more novels. Book #3 (Summit at Sunset) is due out this January, so the series will comprise at least five novels. However, I tend to think that six isn't out of the question. *wink*

    My thanks to everyone who commented! Thanks for your support!

    Finally, speaking of support, I would like to ask that everyone please say a prayer of healing for Carrie Ann's husband, who is enduring a serious medical issue at this time. Also, please keep Carrie Ann and her family in your thoughts and prayers for support and encouragement.

    Kindly,
    Jaz

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for the interview (and for letting the characters out to play as well)! This was so much fun to read. I look forward to the series.

    mljfoland AT hotmail DOT com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Jaz!! What a great interview! I know you love vampires but I have to aak, Would you ever branch off to write about another supernatural creature and would you ever consider writing paranormal erotica? That seems to be a female writer dominated area! lol!'
    viajeradelmar@aol.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. @Nikki: Would I ever branch into other paranormal storylines or creatures? Thanks for the excellent question, Nikki! As a matter of fact, I plan to write some other paranormal non-vampire storylines in the coming year! And, of course, I can't wait to start on my fourth Sunset Vampire novel, although it will appear further down on my list of "to do" novels. I don't know if I'll ever be successful writing paranormal erotica, but I certainly have a young adult paranormal romance storyline on my list. It's so true that women writers dominate the erotica categories, too! LOL

    Sincerely,
    Jaz

    ReplyDelete