Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Skirting the Edge - with Daisy Harris



Skirting the Edge of BDSM

First, I’d like to thank Carrie Ann for having me on the blog, Thanks, lady!


The topic today is BDSM, and I’ll be honest—I’m not really sure what to say. I’m always dancing around the edges of BDSM in my writing. Hinting and suggesting…teasing and testing. I’ve never written a full-on BDSM scene, much less a whole book. And yet…it shows up, again and again in my stories.

Take my new release, Studenstein. It starts at a BDSM club. Why? Well, I wanted to drop my hero and heroine someplace slightly over-the-top and completely sexually charged. I’d originally planned to start Studenstein with my hero Royce speaking Klingon at some kind of Trekkie convention. But as it turns out I know less about the Trekkie world than the BDSM one. After all, I’ve been to a BDSM club. I have yet to make it to Comicon or Dragoncon.

The wonderful thing about adding a dash of BDSM to stories is that it gives the characters an opportunity to experiment with power, and power reversals. They can toy with trust and surrender. My characters never desire total power, nor do they romanticize total surrender. As an author, I can only write what I know. And in my world, power is traded and granted, but never given up entirely.

It’s the balancing act that interests me. My Studenstein hero, Royce, begins the book playing the role of a Dom, even though he’s working as a sex slave. I love the dichotomy of his power and powerlessness and that issue set the stage for the rest of the book.

For long tracks of time, my heroine Shani effectively “tops” Royce, but not by choice. And by the end of the story, Shani’s ready to trust him more deeply than she’s ever trusted anyone. Near the end of the book, she’s ready to experiment with surrender. But would I want her to hand over her power completely? Hells no!

Shani is a proud, strong, somewhat paranoid woman and would never want a man to have total control over her—not even for a minute. But she’d certainly think about it…and toy with the idea. I could see her giving it a try, dipping a toe in the water. She’d think about surrendering completely. And in my world, that’s as good as it gets. J

Thanks for having me on the blog! Remember to comment for a chance to win a $25 gift certificate to Barnes and Noble.  The more you comment, the better your chances of winning. The tour dates can be found here:  http://goddessfishpromotions.blogspot.com/2011/09/virtual-book-tour-studenstein.html


Author bio:
Birkenstock-wearing glamour girl and mother of two by immaculate conception, Daisy Harris still isn’t sure if she writes erotica. Her paranormal romances start out innocently enough. However, her characters behave like complete sluts. Much to Miss Harris’s dismay, the sex tends to get completely out of hand.

 If you like science-y subplots, fantastical creatures, and red-hot chemistry, you’ll love Daisy Harris.
website: www.thedaisyharris.com
twitter: http://twitter.com/#!/thedaisyharris
facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Daisy-Harris-Erotic-Paranormal-Romance/185042351535537

Blurb:
Studenstein (Book two in the Love-Bots series)

A man built for sex… A woman who wants more…

Freedom fighter Shani Brown is determined to drag the ungrateful Royce back to her team in Seattle. Despite his denial of mistreatment, she wants to give him a chance at a better life. Due to her horrific past as an unlicensed love-bot, Shani never plans to have sex again. But Royce’s makers punish him remotely with crippling pain. His only escape is to orgasm. Never one to turn her back on a job, Shani soon finds herself servicing him—and soon after, caring for him.

Love-bot Royce Harden wasn’t looking to be rescued, especially not from the San Francisco BDSM club where he was having a perfectly good time. But rescued he was—by a hellcat bent on delivering him to her people. As Royce starts to trust Shani, he begins to dream of freedom. But freedom comes with a price. Royce must face his vanity, his makers, and even the loss of his sexual upgrades if he’s going to be the man Shani deserves.

Excerpt:

“I’m sure you’re everything your makers built you to be.”

Royce wondered why her compliment seemed backhanded.

“But boy…” She lifted her hand from the bed. Royce thought she might touch him—lay her slender brown fingers on his cheek, or pat his arm at least. Instead, she lowered her fist back to the bedspread. “You are more than that.”

He snickered, trying to throw off some of those sickly feelings invading his thoughts. Fear, self-doubt—those were things he only remembered from his very first days. He never planned to revisit that state again. “What they built was pretty damn awesome.” Royce rolled onto his back, breaking their connection.

“Yeah…” Shani did pat his arm then, and squeezed it right over his biceps. Royce smiled to think she’d been appreciating his muscles. Then he realized how fucking superficial that made him sound.

Whatever “but” she’d been planning, Shani left unsaid. “Hey, can you sleep? ’Cuz I’d like to.” She grabbed a couple of thin blankets from a shelf overhead.

“Yeah.” Royce tucked a hand between his legs. The numbness still felt odd—the sensation thick like Novocain. But the darting nerve pain was gone for the time being. “For a while, at least.”

Shani reached up and flicked off the light. Once it was dark, and they both lay cocooned in their own wrap, she spoke. “If… I mean, when you’re in pain like that again…” She let out a breath that ruffled his hair. In the dark, he saw the outline of her wild hair and her curvy body. “Well, it’s not like I minded. You can ask me…if you like.

He didn’t answer, fearing relief might shake his voice if he said thank you.


14 comments:

  1. Hi Daisy,

    I am a fan of the command and cherish theme in bdsm stories, and can see that the toe tipping for Shani totally matches her personality.

    caity_mack at yahoo dot com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cathy- I wish I could write more BDSM! There's a little more of it in the next book, Built 4 It. I think I do a better job writing D/s between two guys. :)

    Carrie- Thanks for having me on!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Intrigued by Studenstein... following you on twitter!!!

    samax@bellsouth.net

    ReplyDelete
  4. A girl should never give up *all* of her power. Or, perhaps, just make the guy believe she has ;-)

    justforswag(AT)yahoo(DOT)com

    ReplyDelete
  5. You have given me a new view on bondage. ;~}}

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sam- Thanks for commenting! Glad to have u as a follower!

    Chelsea—I knew I liked you for a reason! I like how you think, lady!

    Thebewitchinghour- Thanks! I often feel like I should go deeper w my BDSM scenes, but I really like the tease. Sometimes the desire is better than the fulfillment, y'know?

    ReplyDelete
  7. You've been to a BDSM club? I have GOT to get out more! Obviously, I have led a sheltered life. Who says you can't travel to brave new worlds in books?

    Catherine Lee
    catherinelee100[at]gmail[dot]com

    ReplyDelete
  8. LOL, I've been to Comic Con (SD & NY) and I haven't heard any Klingon there :) What an interesting concept. I look foward to checking it out.

    mljfoland AT hotmail DOT com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Catherine- Well I lived in San Francisco in my early 20s. It was the Ann Rice era, after all. :)


    ML-Really? No crazy sex parties at Comic Con? Well, no way am I going to it now! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  10. I like your 'teasing', just glimpses into the BDSM world. Although I do enjoy reading full on BDSM books, being subtle about also has its points :)

    Eva
    evitap67(at)gmail(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've just started reading this and it's wonderful. The writing flows; your characters are well crafted; and you integrate the setting so well. I'm still at the beginning but it's quite the enjoyable read. If I didn't have so much to do, I'd sit down and read it one sitting.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Just a smattering of BDSM here or there does add some awesomeness to stories ;)

    Morganlafey86(at)aol(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  13. love the cover and great post !!!

    reginamayross@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. You wrote a very interesting article. And I agree with you. hair loss Read a useful article about tramadol tramadol

    ReplyDelete