Friday, November 4, 2011

Welcome to Crystal Falls


Please Welcome one of my favorites Sandra Sookoo!




Imagine the scene:  you’ve gotten lost on the highway.  Maybe you don’t have a GPS and you drive a bit through the corn and soybean fields of northern Indiana.  Just when you think you won’t ever come upon civilization again, you roll into the outskirts of a tiny town.

Welcome to Crystal Falls, Indiana, my fictional town that harbors some very special paranormal folks and a little bit of magic to boot!

Thanks so much for letting me hang out on your blog and talk about my Holiday Magic series.  It all started three years ago with the idea that Santa Claus could have nephews.  Then I wondered what if these men didn’t want to go into the “family” business and instead, they had decided to open up a cookie bakery.  What’s more, these men didn’t want the North Pole influence in their life, but they either had to make a “normal” living or back to the North Pole they’d go.

The idea for a magical town was born.  Not that Crystal Falls itself has any magic.  It all depends on the residents and who comes to visit.  Or does it…?

Over the years, as I evolved as a writer so did the town of Crystal Falls.  Where the series starts out as a light, funny collection of books dealing with the crappy love lives and foibles of a handful of characters, midway through the mood changes and becomes a little darker, a little more intense because bad things threaten the town, culminating in the last book.  Even still, the humor is evident, the love is bright and the magic is practical.  My publisher also changed cover artists midway through so the vibe on the back half is a little more sexy and edgy.

In case you aren’t familiar with the Holiday Magic series, let me briefly walk you through what you’ll find.  In Exiles from Christmas, the nephews of Santa are under a deadline—make a success of a bakery or literally be off the route.  In Cupid in Blue, one of those nephews has a different sort of magic thrust upon him—and it comes with wings, but he has no love life.  In Five Leaf Clover, St. Patrick’s Day mayhem is afoot in the form a one female leprechaun hounded by a reporter.  In No Such Thing, the mysterious owner of the boarding house and resident matchmaker comes under fire and revisits with an old flame.  In Midsummer Night’s Steve, a determined reporter makes a reappearance and he’s after proof of magic where he runs into the tooth fairy.  And finally in Tail on the Moon, one of the Nickles sisters can’t find her magic but she does find a wolf shifter and something that will save Crystal Falls for future generations.

The town is a safe haven for folks who’ve unexpectedly come upon magic in their lives and don’t quite know what to do with it.  The fact that they might find love and romance upon moving to Crystal Falls is happy side effect.

So many people have asked me why I chose to end the series with six books.  The answer is because I thought it was time.  Sometimes a reader’s imagination is the most powerful tool of all, and really, outside of the Easter Bunny or a talking, sarcastic groundhog, what else can I do?  There may be a free read in the future but for now, Crystal Falls will remain alive and well on your virtual bookshelves.

I’m off to create another paranormal series with new larger than life characters.

Since Christmas is right around the corner, here’s the blurb for Exiles from Christmas:

The nephews of Santa have come to Crystal Falls to run a cookie business.  If they fail, they’ll have to go back to the North Pole and fill the black boots of their uncle when he retires.  And neither Landon nor Aaron wants to do that.  They’re sick of toys, elves, and the North Pole influence, and both brothers are looking for love.

Jayne doesn’t believe in Christmas—let alone magic.  She’s dumped them both into the land of make-believe and children’s stories.  When a North Pole postmark comes across her desk at the post office, she investigates, and gets the shock of her life.  She finds out Landon’s family business definitely isn’t cookies. 

Can the truth about Landon’s life melt Jayne’s icy reserve, or will it be his love that finally melts her heart?  Maybe she just needs a touch of holiday magic…

And because you can’t read about a cookie bakery without having a recipe in hand, here’s one from Landon’s personal collection:

Landon’s Coconut Snowballs

1 1/3 cups flaked coconut
1/3 cup sugar
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1/8 teaspoon salt
2 egg whites
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
In a small bowl, combine the coconut, sugar, flour and salt. Stir in egg whites and vanilla; mix well.

Drop by rounded teaspoonfuls onto greased baking sheets. Bake at 325 degrees F for 18-20 minutes or until golden brown. Cool on a wire rack.


Have a whetted your appetite for the series?  Pop over to Lyrical Press and check them out for yourself!  http://www.lyricalpress.com/store/index.php?main_page=authors&authors_id=76  The books are also at Amazon, All Romance e-books and Fictionwise.


18 comments:

  1. Thanks for having me on your blog today! I love to welcome new people to Crystal Falls!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow. This series sounds wonderful. I'll being check them out. Thanks for sharing Crystal Falls.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've visited Crystal Falls (reading about it counts, right?) and can say that it's definitely a magical place. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey kids! Thanks for dropping by :-) I hope you enjoyed your stay in Crystal Falls.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the idea of Crystal Falls! I will be adding these books to my TBR pile.

    megonski216@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Crystal Falls sounds like a great place to visit. I will definitely be checking these books out in the future.

    jcalvert719(at)yahoo(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ah, the magic of Christmas! You are a new author to me. It's a very different premise and I would love to read more about Crystal Falls :)

    Eva
    evitap67(at)gmail(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for visiting everyone! I hope you'll check out the books. they're very low priced so it won't cost much to take a trip!

    ReplyDelete
  9. sounds good. would love a visit

    maria

    chilosa_2004@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. The Exiles of Christmas sounds like a perfect read for the upcoming season (and I really have the urge to bake after reading the interview...yummy coconut!). Crystal Falls sounds like an ideal location to run into some fun and fantastic characters. Thanks so much for the interview.

    mljfoland AT hotmail DOT com

    ReplyDelete
  11. of I have to get The Exiles of Christmas to read this month :) Thanks for sharing

    meandi09@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for coming out everyone! I know if you give them a chance, you'll find a favorite!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Please enter me in this contest. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow, this sounds like a really cool series. I don't think I've ever stumbled across hot relatives of santa LOL! I really like the idea of it though! And that coconut recipe looks delicious.. I think I actually have all of that.. hmm maybe not the sugar but I do have splenda 0.o Might have to try that :D whoohoo ;) I LOVE paranormals too.. wondering if all authors are paranormal or if I just got lucky clicking yours ;)


    paranormaladdicts at yahoo dot com

    ReplyDelete
  15. These books sound great. i think i wanna visit Crystal Falls! Thank you carrie for bring more great authors forward!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi Chelsea! I hope you'll check out the series :-)

    Hi Leslie! Crystal Falls will suck you in :-)

    ReplyDelete
  17. ooh! ooh! i wanna win! thanks for the giveaway and AWESOME new blog layout Carrie!

    ReplyDelete
  18. This books sound so awesome! I think I also want to visit Crystal Falls now!

    ReplyDelete