Monday, December 19, 2011

The Unlikely Heroine with Jessica Subject

Hi All! Please welcome my friend and fellow author Jessica Subject!!


The Unlikely Heroine
Most of the heroines that are in the stories I read are either women who have just experienced the biggest heartbreak of their life, or are very strong-willed independent women who aren’t looking for a man, but wind up in love anyway. Not that there is anything wrong with these stories—I do love them—but it’s rare to find women in other situations. How often do we have heroines who have been raped, gone through lap-band surgery, or in Tamara Johnston’s case, have Alopecia Areata—an autoimmune disease which can leave patients bald? I’ve read these stories, too, but these are very sensitive topics and require a great deal of research and emotion included in the story. These heroines must struggle with their own identity issues before they can trust anyone to let them into their heart.
Now, you tell me: What real-world issues do the heroines you read/write about face?
Giveaway
I will randomly draw a name from those who answer my question to WIN a copy of Beneath the Starry Sky. Please leave your email address in the body of your comment so that I may contact you if you win. Contest will run until December 23rd.
Beneath the Starry Sky Blurb
Left at the altar with bald patches on her head and her self-confidence stripped away, Tamara Johnson must pick up the pieces of her life and face her Alopecia Areata, the autoimmune disease causing her hair to fall out. She is convinced no man will date a bald woman and arranges a one-night stand through Madame Evangeline’s popular service, 1Night Stand. With her new wig held firmly in place, Tamara arrives at the Castillo Hotel in Las Vegas for a night of passion and pleasure. Anything more than one night would mean exposing her bald head, and she will never do that to any man again.

Running into the Castillo Hotel, away from the paparazzi constantly at his heels, Josh Summers wants to spend his next few days locked away from the flashing lights and screaming fans. When he finds an incredibly sexy woman lying on his hotel room bed in nothing but lingerie, he thinks management has made a mistake. Leaving her behind, he heads for the lobby to get the situation rectified. But an unexpected text from Madame Evangeline sends him back to his room. Though unsure whether the woman on the bed is really his perfect match or just another fan believing him to be like his character on television, he knows he must find out, even if it means he must risk telling her his own secrets. If Tamara can handle his imperfections, she just might be his ideal woman.

Available from Decadent Publishing and other ebook retailers.
To learn more about Alopecia Areata and to help find a cure, visit the National Alopecia Areata Foundation http://www.naaf.org and the Canadian Alopecia Areata Foundation http://canaaf.org/
Bio:
Jessica Subject started writing to encourage her daughter to read. Now she writes to keep herself grounded. Although she reads many genres, she enjoys writing Science Fiction Romance the most and believes everyone in the universe deserves a happily ever after. She lives Southwestern Ontario, Canada with her husband and two kids and loves to hear from anyone who has enjoyed her stories.

14 comments:

  1. Thanks for hosting me today, Carrie Ann! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The heroine of TIN CAT is partially paralysed after being hit by a car and spends most of the story in a wheelchair.

    I do have disabled friends, but I'm still having to do a lot of research to get the details right.

    I don't require entry into the draw.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Likeyou, most of the heroines in my books are strong willed, not looking for love, and finding it. Or they are strong, some evil "being" is after them, and an alpha male rescues and protects.

    I'm adding Beneath the Starry Sky to my wish list.


    Thanks,
    Tracey D
    booklover0226 at gmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I absolutely love the setting for this story, and have been stalking poor Jessica all over trying to win it, haha.
    I've become her fan in all social media's possible. Cannot wait to see what works she brings us in the future!
    And I also love Carrie, and am stalking her too, so this is great, LOL!
    Thank you for the giveaway chance!
    Happy Holidays!

    Gena Robertson
    robertsongena@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Misa - Yes, if you have not experienced that life, it does take research. Thanks so much!

    @Tracey D - I like to shake things up a bit. :) Thanks!

    @Gena Robertson - There will be lots of chances to win the rest of this week, and I'm sure into the new year. Thanks for your support! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Recently, I've read two books that the heroine was dealing with real world issues. The first was Downsizing by W. Soliman, in this book the heroine was over weight and not just a little over weight but a lot. I could really relate to her issues since I've struggled with my weight through out my adult life and during this past year I've lost 50 pounds:)

    The second was The Calling by Ashley Lynn Willis where the heroine is a breast cancer survivor who had a mastectomy and reconstructive surgery.

    Downsizing was a straight up romance and The Calling was a romance with some paranormal elements to them. I really did enjoy both of these books because the heroines were dealing with real world issues.

    Jessica, your book sounds fantastic. Thanks for the opportunity to win a copy.

    Lori

    knitrix29 at gmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks so much, Lori! It's nice that other authors are tackling real-world issues even when combined with the paranormal or science fiction.

    All the best!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lori - I would love to read both of those. As a writer - I'm so new that I'm getting the feel of characters. I do have abuse and rape victims as my heroines in upcoming books.

    I am also playing around with a woman having MS like me or a breast cancer survivor like me - mainly because I know what it feels like.

    I loved Jessica's heroine - since she was just figuring out what to do with it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think it is interesting to read books about heroines that are bling or deaf. My husband has a deaf aunt and uncle so I know how hard it is to communicate with them within a crowd or alone.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Like Gena, I have been stalking Jennifer trying to win her work!

    And Carrie Ann, as I have MS also, I would love to read a novel that has a heroine with it!

    Thank you both, have a wonderful Holiday Season!

    teresa dot miller at tigerblossom dot com

    ReplyDelete
  11. @Megs - I think fiction is a wonderful tool to teach others what it's like to live in someone else's shoes. Thanks for stopping by! :)

    @Teresa - Thanks and happy holidays! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Reading about heroines who lost someone important to them is interesting to read. They either seem to rebel in life or become a shut in.

    Happy Holidays!!

    Megan G.
    megonski216@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. @Megan - Tamara really didn't do either, although some may say signing up for a one-night stand is rebelling. LOL Happy Holidays to you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Congratulations to Gena Robertson who wins a copy of Beneath the Starry Sky! I will be in contact with you soon. Happy Holidays everyone! :)

    ReplyDelete