Friday, January 20, 2012

Character Take on Mixing Money and Romance

Please welcome Rafe Archangeli, hero of Mad Dog and the Archangel.
Kat will be giving away a Funky Bag and a Toiletries Bag from Kats Kustom KarryAlls, filled with author swag to one random commenter on the tour. US and Canada only, please.

Good morning, Carrie Ann. Many thanks for inviting me to visit your blog today. I always appreciate attention from a beautiful, talented woman; from the looks of your blog you are both lovely and versatile. Nice dress, by the way, it enhances the color of your eyes and the line of your neck. I believe the neck is the most sensuous part of a woman's body, don't you? The long, fluid lines, fragrant with her special scent, supple from habitual use of lotions and balms. 

Alas, I digress from the topic of mixing money with romance.

It is my feeling, at least it always was until I came home to Summerville to bury the man who saved my life a few years ago, that unless a guy wants to wake up some morning and find his dick in a noose, he should avoid all near occasions of heavy attraction. Yeah, yeah, it's just as easy to get your gonads in a vise grip over a poor girl as a rich one, but who wants to take the risk?

Heightened emotions not only interfere with concentrating on the fine details, they are the best way to ruin a perfectly good scam. Success at conning the rich and shameless out of their wealth depends on several factors. First you want to make sure the mark can afford to lose a few million. Second, it's crucial, to me anyway, that they are clearly and truly shameless. Taking money from those who don't deserve to have it in the first place is always a lot more fun than fleecing some poor schmo who happened to fall into a lucky break and won the lottery. Makes my heart go putty pat to screw somebody out of a few bucks.

Physical appearance [on the female marks] doesn't matter one  bit to me though I know it might rank high with other artists of my ilk. I fleece 'em not screw 'em. Nuh uh. Not this guy. Trust me, sex will screw up a plan faster than grease runs through a goose. I ought to know. My latest mark, prior to this little trip down memory lane in Summerville, is named Shelby Lawrence Ainsley Goddard. I barely escaped her talons with my Gucci shorts intact. The woman is a leech as well as a lech. And loaded with enough Botox and silicone to float an armada.  

Again, I digress. I came to Summerville to bury my friend, Deege Thurgood. He saved my life a few years back; I owe him big. Should have kept the lines of communication open over the years, I know, but things happen. Know what I mean? Living life on life's terms as we say in the rooms of AA. And life just sort of got in the way of me dropping a dime on old Deege to tell him I'd just celebrated ten years clean and sober thanks to him. Not taking the time to say thanks is something I'll regret for the rest of my life.

On top of money, no matter who has it, sobriety is the second reason to avoid romance. Fastest way to watch a woman turn a sickly shade of green is to have a guy admit he once drank, snorted, sniffed and rolled every illegal substance known to man and a few that weren't. Even if said guy comes equipped with a notarized bill of perfect health from the Surgeon General of the United States, mentioning a history of drug abuse dooms a romance quick as spit. Been there and done that, too many times to count.

Now that I think about it, maybe I should have used that line with Shelby Goddard. Would have saved a lot of blood, sweat and tears. Of course if I did that, I'd have missed out on her check with all those lovely zeroes to the left of the decimal point.

But, I suppose you want to know about Amazing Grace Dunavan. The night we met I had no idea she was one of the Eastman Industries Dunavans. If I had, I'd have ignored those hip swinging hips and gutsy laugh, tipped my hat to her and been on my way. But when it comes to the Samba, that woman dances like a whirling dervish. If I didn't know better I'd swear she just came off the beach at Ipanema. It wasn't until later that she had spent time in Rio de Janiero but not on the beach.

I mean, can you picture it―a con man and a nun?

Nope. Mixing money and romance is a sure killer.
Thanks for having me, Carrie Ann. I appreciate the invite.
Rafe
  

About Kat:

Over the years I've had the honor to work at a number of occupations: operating room nurse, malpractice insurance investigator, forensic nurse examiner, victim advocate, wife and mother. Five years ago I became Nana for the first time and, believe me, it’s the best job ever!

          Even if I sometimes wish they'd remain in the closet, the years I spent in the OR and labor floor, and later advocating for victims of sexual violence, contribute significantly to the voice of my writing. You don’t  spend thirty years playing loyal serving maid and mind reader to egotistical surgeons, then twelve years haunting police stations, Emergency Rooms, and criminal courts without developing an internal alarm system for covert misogyny, rampant apathy, and overwhelming bigotry. 

          I retired my stethoscope and speculum a few years ago but continue to advocate quietly for marginalized populations through Amnesty International and Doctors Without Borders.
         
          I like hearing from readers. You can contact me through my website: www.KatHenry.com, or blog: www.WildWomanAuthor.blogspot.com 
                             
Blurb

Rafael Archangeli returns home to Summerville to bury an old friend, collect his inheritance, and then return to the only life he knows—conning wealthy women out of their money. In Rafe's world, money not only equals success, it goes a long way to obliterate the stigma of his past.

Grace Dunavan, former nun turned community activist, gave up worldly goods a long time ago with no regrets. But she's never known a man with the raw appeal of the Scourge of Summerville: Rafael Archangeli.

Their first meeting is like an errant strike of lightning, fierce and stunning in intensity, and takes both by surprise. Has Grace turned Rafe into a changed man? Or is he using his inheritance to pull off the biggest scam of his life?

Excerpt
Safety First.

A personal motto that served Grace Dunavan well for the past thirty-something years. She never picked up strange men. In fact, she rarely dated men, strange or otherwise. And wasn't she the first to preach the wisdom of obtaining a detailed history—family, medical and sexual before contemplating a walk on the wild side? With any man, including the brother of her best friend.

Especially one whose thick mop of jet colored hair, hooded black eyes and razor-sharp cheekbones, all of which held undeniable appeal for a good girl who always did what the nuns and her parents dictated. With a name like Archangeli he should be a protector, not a walking advertisement that proclaimed: I've Been There, Done That; Let Me Tell You All About It.

As he helped her into her coat, Grace heard Gaby murmur something about an attorney who was trying to track down Rafe. None of it made sense. What woman in her right mind could think straight when faced with a man who redefined potency?

It was a night of firsts for Grace: leaving a party with a man she'd never met before; admitting how and where she'd learned to drive; breaking the land speed record for contemplating her first one night stand.   

Kat will be giving away a Funky Bag and a Toiletries Bag from Kats Kustom KarryAlls, filled with author swag to one random commenter on the tour.  US and Canada only, please.

Follow the tour here.


18 comments:

  1. I love it when an author can take an absolutely impossible situation and make it work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds like a fun and interesting book. Thanks for the blurb and excerpt. Can't wait to read it.

    e.balinski(at)att(dot)net

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great interview, Kat/Rafe. I don't think you're quite the tough guy you paint yourself to be!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, MomJane,
    thanks for stopping by. Rafe was pretty impossible at the beginning of Mad Dog and . . . but did manage to redeem himself first thanks to Deege, then Gracie.
    Kat

    ReplyDelete
  5. Joanne,
    thanks for stopping by and for taking the time to make a comment. Hope you enjoy the story as much as I enjoyed writing it.
    Best,
    kat

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the excerpt! Thanks for sharing!
    -Amber
    goodblinknpark@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Rafe. Great interview. Its with great sadness that this series is drawing to a close. I've read every book in the series and I'm glad that Grace is getting her story told. Sometimes love, sex and cons don't mix but I'm sure it will be worth it with Grace.

    Marika
    maw1725@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Rafe,

    Gotta say I agree with Jannine. You can't be as bad ass as you pretend to be. I mean, really. A cute guy like you?

    Congrats on the clean and sober years!

    ReplyDelete
  9. VampedChik
    thanks for stopping by!
    yeah, writing that excerpt was a lot of fun. In fact, writing the whole story was a lot of fun.
    Kat

    ReplyDelete
  10. Renald,
    You are most welcome. This was the first time Rafe consented to an interview. Due to his former profession he's a bit shy when it comes to publicity. Guess that'll have to change because of the Thurgood Trust.
    Thanks for stopping by.
    Kat

    ReplyDelete
  11. Harlie Reader
    wow! you've read the entire series?
    share the good word with your reader and writer friends--jannine, margo and I need the business! joke.
    thanks for stopping by.
    I'm really glad you like the series. The last alum to show will be from author Keena Kincaid and it's sure to be a beauty!
    Kat

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yes, I have read the entire series. I emailed the editors of TWRP and begged them not to stop the series. :) Didn't work but the series has been the best series of books that I have read in a long time.

    I actually graduated from high school in 1985 so I can identify with the characters, their feelings, emotions and the wonders of falling in love. (I married right before my 30th class reunion)

    Marika

    ReplyDelete
  13. Harlie/Marika,
    this is the first I've heard about readers asking to have a series continue. Thank you so much. I'd like to share your comments with the rest of the Class of '85 authors as well as the executive staff at TWRP
    .
    Best,
    Kat

    ReplyDelete
  14. Congratulations on the book! I enjoyed the interview.

    bn100candg(at)hotmail(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  15. thanks, bn100
    I hat a lot of fun writing it.
    kat

    ReplyDelete