Friday, January 13, 2012

The Male POV with SL Carpenter

The Male POV
S.L. Carpenter


Thanks for inviting me to post on your blog.
Being an open topic blog is like putting a bowl of ice cream out in front of me.
There’s going to be whipped cream involved sometime.

One question I get asked a lot is what it is like to be a man in a world dominated by women. I refer to the ice cream comment above. There’s going to be whipped cream involved. (Just don’t let my wife know because I value my, umm, jewels).

Actually I like being a romance writer. Women have always been interesting to me. Not just as eye candy. From the days of unsnapping bras off mannequins I have admired women. I also learn from them. I listen well and think, being a male, it gives me one advantage, a different perspective.

Being around groups of women at conventions and functions is fascinating to me because I see so many different mannerisms and nuances that I use when writing a female character. I have been told it helps because I pick up on things and add that to my writing.

The small things are what interest me. Like how a woman takes such time and detail on their appearance. From their nails to the small indentions on a skirt, the wave of their hair to the color of their heels. More men should appreciate these small details and realize that women do this for our benefit. And also to show up the other women that didn’t get the new Coach purse.

But, I have to be honest, I love looking at women and the female form. Women are beautiful creatures. From the curvature of their neck to the slope of the lower back…where was I?  Oh ya, being in a female dominated business.

With all the good does come a bad. Women drive me absolutely crazy (A wife and two daughters will agree to that). But that’s what all men think. I do get asked by readers and other writers about the male point of view.

To me men are pretty easy to figure out.
They only need 3 basic things to be kept happy.
My question to you lovely ladies is what do you think the 3 things are?

While you ponder that question take a look at my upcoming release -


OWNED by S.L. Carpenter
Publisher: Samhain Publishing
Release Date: January 17, 2012

Ownership comes with a price. Make sure you’re prepared to pay it. 

Friends with benefits? Eric and Lauren are definitely that. A Friday night, a hotel, and a night of hot, satisfying sex. That’s it. Recently, though, Eric finds himself wanting more. More time, more fun, more Lauren.

Trouble is, she’s all tied up in her career, totally uninterested in getting tied down. How will she react when he musters up the guts to ask her for what he really wants: her to be completely his for one weekend. To let him own her, body and soul.

Lauren is sure Eric is just overthinking their strictly casual relationship. Still, the thought of doing exactly what he wants, whenever and wherever he wants, intrigues her. What’s not to like about letting go, handing everything over to a man she trusts in every way?

Their getaway is more sensual, more daring, more perfect than either of them anticipated. Until that most feared of emotions raises its head and takes aim at their hearts.

Product Warnings
Contains references to ownership, domination and complete submission; extra panties may be required, along with ice. This is not a book about training your pets, so treats and squeaky toys are not necessary, unless you’re into that...

If you are interested in finding out more about me, my books, and my art stop on by:

Don’t forget I'm giving away a new Kindle e-reader for the release of my new book OWNED . To enter the contest, just follow my Blog and subscribe to my newsletter. I'll draw the winner from the newsletter subscribers on January 22nd.

8 comments:

  1. Sex, TV and food. LOL

    Love the blurb. Another read to add to my TBR pile.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sex, sex and oh I know... sex.

    e.balinski(at)att(dot)net

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love it, Scott! I feel the same way about guys. In fact, it's more fun to be the only girl in a group of guys than be just another girl in a group of girls! I grew up a tomboy in a skirt, and we made the boys jump rope and they made us play King Of the Mountain. They are like my brothers even now.

    My Mom had 5 brothers and hated it, but I love watching men interact. If they're not total sleeze bags and only stare at my...assets...it's enjoyable to banter and joke and converse with them, especially the smart ones. (you smart guys ROCK!) They are wonderful creatures and so much less complicated than women (in general).

    Food, sex and sleep (with sleep being optional if there is a chance for one or both of the previous). That's my answer (but I'm not entering because I want someone else to win and see what a wonderful writer you are!)

    Heather

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well the sex answer is pretty common.
    Maybe not all guys think this way but give most food, sex, and sports and they are pretty content.
    Love to hear more comments from you ladies.
    As a male writer I need all the help I can get to write female characters.
    I mean Heather has met me and knows how I am.
    Scary, huh?

    Scott

    ReplyDelete
  5. Holy hawtness! I've got another author to follow and some books to be buyin' up and some readin' to do! Yee haw!

    Gena Robertson
    robertsongena@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Aw, gee, are guys that simple? Just 3 things? In fairness, I do know a lot of guys like that.

    The guy's POV is also "simple": "If what I see doesn't bug me, I don't care. But if it does, I'll get angry. I might beat you up, but then we'll be friends the next day, OK?".

    ReplyDelete
  7. Scott I am so glad I stumbled across your guest post on Carrie Ann's blog. Your sorta gonna be like a role model for me. The only thing I love more than reading romance is writing it. But holy cow as I start to look around at who's actually doing the writing I quickly realized there's not a whole lot of testeterone based life forms doing it! So I am looking forward to your blog and newsletter - and to reading your books.

    oh..and I love the question you left for the ladies! As for the answer to the questions - I know what my 3 basic needs are....but I'm not gonna tell. I'd rather continue to read what the ladies here think the answers are.

    A special thank you to Carrie Ann for having you as a guest poster as well as to you for being an inspiration for me to not give up my own quest.

    ReplyDelete