Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Spicing Things Up with Romance Novels with Roni Loren

Well, that sounds interesting...Spicing Things Up with Romance Novels

One of the beautiful things about books is that we as readers can explore things we may never experience. A passionate affair with a duke, an exciting adventure in another universe, being on the hunt for a crazed serial killer. It’s all at our fingertips. And when it comes to romance, especially erotic romance, it gives us a safe place to explore fantasies we may not ever tackle in our real life.

Or...it may give you ideas on how to spice up your current relationship. It’d be an interesting study to know how many people who read erotic stories end up taking some of those activities and bringing them into their own bedrooms. Reading stories is a good way to find out what appeals to you without risk.

I had a few people who have read my book that said--loved the book, but I can’t see kneeling and calling any guy sir. I get a kick out of that response because it’s so interesting to see how different people react. My usual reply to that reaction is--then you probably aren’t hiding a secret submissive side. Maybe you want to be in charge. Or maybe the whole power exchange dynamic wouldn’t do anything for you.

On the flip side, I’ve had others say that they never realized the submissive role appealed to them until they read a BDSM book. So it can be a good way to safely discover where your interests lie. Feel yourself getting a little flushed when you read a bondage scene? Maybe that’s something to try with your partner. What have you got to lose? If it’s a flop, you’ll probably at least get a laugh out of it.

And of course, always do your research. If you’re going to try something a little involved, make sure you learn about it and do it with someone you trust. Though BDSM romances often have the characters getting into that dynamic pretty quickly, it’s not something to jump into with someone you don’t know well and without rules and limits set up and discussed. Like anything else, be smart.

So have you discovered anything about yourself through reading a romance? What kind of book would you like to jump into and “live” if you knew you could jump right back out when you wanted?

Roni wrote her first romance novel at age fifteen when she discovered writing about boys was way easier than actually talking to them. Since then, her flirting skills haven’t improved, but she likes to think her storytelling ability has. Though she’ll forever be a New Orleans girl at heart, she now lives in Dallas with her husband and son. If she’s not working on her latest sexy story, you can find her reading, watching reality television, or indulging in her unhealthy addiction to rockstars, er, rock concerts. Yeah, that's it. Her debut novel, CRASH INTO YOU, will be published by Berkley Heat January 3, 2012.

Website/Blogs: www.roniloren.com
Tumblr (where I post mancandy photos): http://roniloren.tumblr.com
Buy links for book: www.roniloren.com/books

Brynn LeBreck has dedicated herself to helping women in crisis, but she never imagined how personal her work would get, or where it would take her. Her younger sister is missing, suspected to be hiding from cops and criminals alike at a highly secretive BDSM retreat—a place where the elite escape to play out their most extreme sexual fantasies. To find her Brynn must go undercover as a sexual submissive. Unfortunately, The Ranch is invitation only. And the one Master who can get her in is from the darkest corner of Brynn’s past.

Brynn knows what attorney Reid Jamison is like once stripped of his conservative suit and tie. Years ago she left herself vulnerable only to have him crush her heart. Now she needs him again. Back on top. And he’s all too willing to engage. But as their primal desires and old wounds are exposed, the sexual games escalate—and so does the danger.  Their hearts aren’t the only things at risk. Someone else is watching, playing by his own rules. And his game could be murder.

CRASH INTO YOU - EXCERPT 1:

Brynn’s response lodged in her throat, the all-too-familiar name ringing in her ears. No, couldn’t be. But a sinking feeling settled in her gut. She’d only met one Reid in her life, and that Reid was a lawyer. She closed her eyes and took a steadying breath before she turned around to face her new co-worker.
Reid’s blue-eyed gaze met her head-on, hitting her like an airbag to the chest. She sucked in a breath and fought the old instinct to lower her eyes in deference. Son of a bitch, where had that urge come from? She ticked up her chin and gave him her best I-hate-you-but-will-be-polite-because-I’m-the-bigger-person glare. “Hello.”
Cooper walked around Brynn and clapped Reid on the shoulder. “Reid, I’d like you to meet our other social worker, Brynn LeBreck.”
Reid nodded, his expression annoyingly unreadable. “Brynn, pleasure to see you again. It’s been a while.”
Not long enough. Three years had passed since she’d last seen him. His inky hair was longer on top and a few lines creased the corners of his eyes, but time hadn’t softened her warring responses to him. The urges to pummel his face and strip naked before him held almost equal weight. Luckily, the venue was too public to give in to either. She feigned an air of indifference. “It has.”
“Still as beautiful as ever, though.”
The warm notes of his voice stirred the dark recesses of her memory, further inciting the old longing. She shifted in her heels as hot tingles crept from deep in her belly and moved downward to settle between her legs. Un-f**king- believable. Her body was a whoring traitor.
Melody stepped next to Brynn as if sensing her need for support, and Cooper’s eyebrows rose. “You two know each other?”
Boy, did they—in just about every way a man and woman could. She searched Reid’s face, and he tipped his head infinitesimally, as if giving her permission to answer the question. Her eyes narrowed. “Used to. Long time ago.”
Cooper smiled, either oblivious or unperturbed by the tension zipping through the air between her and Reid. “Great. Guess introductions weren’t needed then.”
Nope. Not needed. Brynn knew exactly who Reid Jamison was. A first-class bastard.
(Full version of chapter one can be read here: http://www.roniloren.com/excerpts )

Roni will be giving away:

* One signed set of Romance Trading Cards for "Crash Into You" to a random commenter at every stop.

* A $25 Amazon GC to one randomly drawn commenter during the tour. 

Be sure to follow the tour here.

23 comments:

  1. "Her body was a whoring traitor." - Now THAT'S a great line.

    marypres(AT)gmail(DOT)com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't think of any romance/erotic book type that I'd really want to visit. I think it would be fascinating to interview people into rope play, I just don't get it at all. Not the binding hands to posts bit, the intricate, whole body binding.

    acm05atjuno.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I mostly like romance and love with out all the details.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hmm. You're questions made me think about ALL the books I've read and all the men (characters) I've fallen in love with compared to the real world men I've loved. I guess if I had to sum up my type o' man in one word, it would be 'thoughtful'. Easy to find in romance books, hard to find in real life!

    ^( '-' )^
    marisha511 (at) hotmail (dot) com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Reading BDSM fiction was definitely my introduction to the life. We read about those women that walk into clubs or meet a dominant guy, and I think I would've been too scared to try it that way. But that's why I'm not a heroine of a romance novel ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love to read books where the heroine is sassy and lips back, but eventually submits, and the hero is exasperated, but doesn't show it, and maintains control of his temper and his strength. Who is always in control and can even manipulate his female into doing what he wants.
    That's not to say that's how I want to live every day of my life. But it makes for great sexual tension and romantic read =)
    Lovin' the tour!

    Gena Robertson
    robertsongena@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sounds like a great read. Congrats on the release.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have found out I like to read books containing BDSM. I think it would be interesting to try, but I'm just not that brave. That's why I read about it. Thanks for the blog tour.

    e.balinski(at)att(dot)net

    ReplyDelete
  11. My hubby certainly likes that I've taken up reading some erotica. It makes me ready to jump his bones...it's a nice jumpstart after 20+ years together! LOL.

    catherinelee100[at]gmail[dot]com

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love reading BDSM just not the true hardcore stuff like S/M, blood play...

    I actually learned that I'm the more dominant one. Who know?

    Marika Weber
    maw1725@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sorry, congratulations on the release, too. :)

    p.s. It should say, Who knew?

    Marika Weber

    ReplyDelete
  14. I have found out so much about myself from reading romances. From the fact that I love reading BDSM stories and some great m/m stories. If I could jump into any kind of book, it would definitely be BDSM, I would love to try some of the things I have read about (just not the extreme hard-core stuff). I just have not met anyone that I could trust that much yet.
    June
    manning_j2004 at yahoo dot com

    ReplyDelete
  15. I can think of several books I would have loved to jump into and be a part of if I could leave them when I was ready to come home. I've enjoyed reading some BDSM, I just can't see giving another person that control even though I know both involved have their own form of control. At least for me.
    suz2@cox.net

    ReplyDelete
  16. Just started reading BDSM fiction. I don't think I could do it,but enjoy reading about it.
    r.d1@myfairpoint.net

    ReplyDelete
  17. Marybelle, thanks! Glad you liked it. :)

    Anne, I'm actually working on a rope scene today in book 3 and it is so intricate. It's very tough to write, so i can't imagine actually learning how to tie all those designs.

    momjane, fair enough :)

    Brenda, Thanks! :)

    6gold, Thoughtful is a good one. And definitely tough to find sometimes! :)

    Skye, Yeah, I think just walking in single would be VERY intimidating. I wouldn't have the guts to do it, lol.

    Gena, I love that dynamic too and tend to write sassy women. They're much more fun!

    Casea, thanks! :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Joanne, lol, it does take an element of bravery, doesn't it? But yes, it's fun to explore things we might not do in real life via books. :)

    Catherine, I'm convinced romance novels are great for marriages. Sometimes life gets so busy, it's nice to read a sexy book and be reminded, hey, I have this great guy I'm married to, maybe I should go say hey. :)

    Harlie, There are definitely many different levels of BDSM fiction out there. Most people would consider mine on the lighter end. I like reading across the whole spectrum, but things can definitely venture out of my comfort zone in some books.

    June, Yes, BDSM definitely requires a lot of trust. And I hear ya on the m/m stories. Love those.

    Susan, That's what I think is so cool about reading about all these different things. You really can get a good feel for --oh that sounds like fun or oh, that's so not for me. :)

    Renald, Yeah, it's fun to read about things that we might not like for ourselves, but we can peek in on others and see how it works. :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Playing catch up here so I'm just jumping in to say HI and sorry I missed the discussion Tuesday.

    I like time travel books taking me back in time to the early 19th century. I would love to visit that time period, but I can honestly say I like my creature comforts too much to stay there!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I have loved reading BDSM stories ever since I picked up a Cherise Sinclair Shadowlands book :) since then I have found many authors who also write them. Thanks for putting these stories out there for us to enjoy. Not sure that I would see myself in any of them, but it sure nice to fantasize about it :)

    Eva
    evitap67(at)gmail(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  21. Crash Into You is a good read for contemporary and erotic romance fans everywhere, who like a little danger and sizzle in their romance.

    ReplyDelete