Monday, March 12, 2012

Interview with Isabo Kelly

Hi! Thanks so much for coming today. Tell us a little bit about yourself.

Thanks for having me! Well, I’m a bohemian, hippy, scientist, mommy, writer, dog owner, wife, occasional world traveler, and amateur cosmologist. LOL. Oh and a massive procrastinator who is very possibly addicted to Sudoku, Mahjong, and baking chocolate chip cookies. In the past I’ve been the shark lady, a dolphin trainer, deer watcher, biology teacher, receptionist and lawyer’s assistant. I have a terrible tendency to move every 3-5 years—not always countries and cities, but that happens pretty often too. And like most of us here, I’m sure, I’m a complete book hoarder.

Tell us a bit about your book.

Brightarrow Burning is a fantasy romance set in the war torn city Sinnale. My human heroine, Layla Brightarrow, is working as an assassin in the war and trying to fend off the advances of the elf lord she’s been in love with most of her life. Unfortunately, because Ulric’s brother turned traitor and joined the opposite side of the war (siding with the Sorcerers who invaded Sinnale), Layla can’t trust him. Unfortunately, that doesn’t stop her from wanting him. And since he’s busy trying to seduce her when the story starts, this leads to a lot of tension.
There’s action, angst, passion, love, heartbreak, melting buildings, a desperate escape through the city streets and a lot of trust issues to work through. Oh and a lot of sex. It’s fun! Read it. J

Is this part of a series?

Originally, I meant this to be a stand alone, but I’ve had ideas for two more novella sequels, so it may well turn into a trilogy if I can make those books work. I figure I need to give Althir, the rotten brother of my hero, a chance to make amends and get a heroine of his own. She will, of course, kick his ass because he needs it. Before I get to Althir, however, I have one more story to tell first, so he gets the third book. Hopefully, my editor will love the stories so I can give them to readers.

What did you find the hardest part of writing it to be?

Probably the hardest part of writing this particular book was finding a balance between Layla’s desire to give into her attraction to and love for Ulric and her distrust of him. I had to make sure she didn’t suddenly just start trusting him without struggle and reason. He’s the hero, so we know she can trust him, but she doesn’t know that, and it wouldn’t feel very genuine if she started to trust him again easily. I hope I didn’t push that out too long for readers. So far, the feedback has been positive so I think all the hard work paid off.

What was your favorite part?

My favorite part of writing Brightarrow Burning was writing the climax. I don’t want to give too much away, but showing the brothers in the same room, writing about what happens in that scene and the revelations Layla comes to was such fun!

Rate your story in terms of steaminess

Hmm, well hotter than Princess Di, a little less hot than Madonna… (Anyone else seen Four Weddings and a Funeral too many times like me?) LOL. Okay, it’s pretty steamy, lots of good sex in a short amount of story, and I don’t tend to pull too many punches with the language, but it’s just this side of out-and-out erotic. Just.

Who is your favorite romance author?

I can never answer this question because I have so many I love! I don’t even know where to start most of the time. Some of my auto-buy authors are Linnea Sinclair, Meljean Brooks, Gini Koch, Nalini Singh, JD Robb, Ann Aguirre, Stacey Kade, Leanna Renee Hieber, Patricia Briggs (I know she’s more fantasy/Urban fantasy but I can’t get enough of her Alpha/Omega series), and Julia Quinn.

What is your favorite romance book or series?

Again, this is as hard to answer as there are several. But a couple of my all time favorites are the In Death series by JD Robb, Patricia Brigg’s Alpha and Omega, Linnea Sinclair’s Dock Five, and Meljean Brook’s Iron Seas series.

Who is your favorite romance character? If you could go on a date with that person, what would you do? Details please! *wink*

Well, if I’m going on a date with someone, it’s got to be Roarke from the In Death series. I love him on so many levels (not the least of which is the fact that he’s Irish like my own husband and so damned loyal to Eve—that is just so sexy!). I’d make him take me off planet for a date, so I could go off planet. And he’d have to feed me a real hamburger—no fake meat for this carnivore. I think I might like some jewelry from him too since he’s filthy bloody rich. And if I weren’t married when this date happened, I would so take that man to bed! After a swim in his amazing pool. (I think this date might last awhile. And probably I would only get this one chance since I asked for jewelry. LOL)

Boxers or Briefs?

Boxers most definitely.

What is next for you?

My next release will be around mid-May. It’s a science fiction romance and the sequel to my very first published novel (The Promise of Kierna’Rhoan, published for the first time 13 years ago!). The Secret of Narava is currently in edits so check back at my website for updates on the release schedule. I’ll also have two re-releases coming out this year. One Christmas novella and a short story set in the Kierna’Rhoan universe.
Outside of those releases, I have the next two stories following Brightarrow Burning to write. And I’m working with my agent on an urban fantasy romance series and a paranormal romance series. I’ve got a story in a hockey anthology that’s being shopped around. And then I have a few more projects that will be prioritized depending on how everything else goes. It’s a never ending flow of projects down my way. But I like that. I’m such a world-builder, I will need many many years to catch up on all the writing I want to get done.

What were your first impressions of each other?

Layla: I thought he was beautiful. I was just a child the very first time I met him. And he was a lot more serious than his brother. But I liked him, he made me comfortable even though he was an elf. And he was the most beautiful man I’d ever seen.
Ulric: My first impression of her was that she was precocious and her parents were going to be in trouble as she grew up. I felt sorry for the men in her life as well. I should have known then I was in trouble.

What are your favorite parts about each other?

Ulric: Her strength, by far and away, I adore her strength. It’s also the thing that scares me the most. She’s too brave, risks too much, but her loyalty to her people and her bravery are humbling to me.
Layla: Says the elf lord who fought in two wars and managed to win battle after battle as well as playing a significant part in winning the entire second war!
Ulric: We had a fair chance against the goblins. Those battles were fought on something like level ground. Your people were not adequately prepared to fight the Sorcerers. And yet you never hesitated. I love that about you.
Layla: I love that he sees me as I am and still loves me, both the good and bad. Probably my favorite thing about him though is how much fun he has negotiating with my parents. Their banter keeps me well entertained for hours.

What’s next for you?

Ulric: She’s growing her hair long again.
Layla: (rolls her eyes) He hated that I cut my hair so I gave in, even though the war isn’t over. Our next step is winning this war and getting the Sorcerers out of our city.
Ulric: I also intend to make love to her as much as humanly possible. Humanly because if she was an elf, we could probably make love more often.
Layla: There are not enough hours in the day for us to make love more often than we already do!
Ulric: Would you like to discuss that later?
Layla: Hmm. I guess we have to go now. We have things to discuss. (smiles) 

Author Bio:
Isabo Kelly is the award-winning, best-selling author of multiple fantasy, science-fiction and paranormal romances and erotic romances. She regularly publishes articles on the craft of writing and the writer’s life and has taught various workshops on world-building (which she claims is a lot more fun than teaching classes on dissecting insect mouth parts).
Reviewers have called Isabo’s books “Hot, hot, hot…”, “sexy, fun…”, “fast-paced, page turning…” and “Beautifully romantic…Isabo Kelly is one author you should add to your auto buy list.”
Her gypsy soul has taken her around the world, including Hawaii where she got her B.A. and worked with dolphins and Ireland where she got her Ph.D. in animal behavior watching deer. Now she’s a stay-at-home mom and a full time writer living in New York City with her brilliant Irish husband, her son and their mad dog.
For more about Isabo and her books, visit her at www.isabokelly.com. You can also find her on Twitter (http://www.Twitter.com/IsaboKelly) and Facebook (http://www.facebook.com/IsaboKelly). Or just email her at isabo@isabokelly.com.  She loves to hear from readers.

Links for Isabo Kelly

Excerpt  (from Chapter One):

“I knew I’d find you here.”
Layla Brightarrow flicked a glance over her shoulder, then returned her stare to the labyrinth of cobbled streets below. “What do you want, Ulric?”
“I’d like to know when you’re going to stop trying to kill my brother.”
“When he stops luring, capturing and selling my people.” She felt Ulric move up close behind her but refused to flinch. Her every sense, however, focused on his presence, his movements, his breathing. Her muscles instinctively tensed, preparing for action, but she forced her body to relax.
“You know I don’t condone what he’s doing…” Ulric murmured.
“So you’ve said.”
“But this is dangerous. For you.”
She snorted, still refusing to face him. Ulric of Glengowyn was beautiful, sexy, and the man she’d been in love with since she was old enough to understand what those strange feelings in her gut meant whenever she looked at him. He was also an elf, and while he wasn’t exactly an enemy now, he wasn’t an ally either. “Go away, Ulric.”
“No.”
“If you’re so concerned about your brother—”
“I could care less about that traitor, and you know it.”
She turned her head just enough to glance at him from the corner of her eye. “Do I?”
“Don’t play games, Layla. You know I don’t support the traitors.”
She made a vague noise in the back of her throat to keep from giving him a direct reply and looked out over the cityscape again.

Isabo will be giving away a $25 Amazon or Barnes and Noble GC to one randomly drawn commenter during the tour. Be Sure to follow the tour for more chances to win!

17 comments:

  1. This story sounds fascinating and fun. You must have enjoyed writing it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, MomJane. I did enjoy writing it, even when it was giving me trouble ;-)

      Delete
  2. Thanks for the post and contest!
    OceanAkers@aol.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping in to comment, Juliana!

      Delete
  3. WELL...I just had a smile on my face through this whole post because it got off to such a fun start. Isabo...That little bit about yourself is a very fun bit. It can be the basis for some stand-up routine! I love your eclectic background!

    catherinelee100 at gmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL. thanks, Catherine. Not sure I have the delivery for a stand up routine though. :) The scary part is all that mad background is true. *g*

      Delete
  4. I have to ask you about your name. Isabo is very unusual. Is it your real name? If so, where did you parents get it? If not and it's a pen name, how did you happen to come up with it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by to chat, Karen.

      Isabo is my pen name. I actually got it from the movie Lady Hawk, with Michelle Pfieffer, Rudger Howard. Her name was Isabeau and I just loved it so I adopted it. Spelled it wrong obviously :) But close enough. I picked Kelly because with such an unusual 1st name, I wanted something easy to remember and pronounce for my last name.

      It was pretty odd the first time someone called me Isabo aloud, though :)

      Thanks for the question!

      Delete
  5. Great excerpt! The book sounds very good.

    bn100candg(at)hotmail(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I hope you get a chance to read it.

      Delete
  6. Such a fabulous interview. The 'human heroine' stuck with me.

    marypres(AT)gmail(DOT)com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Mary! Glad you enjoyed the interview.

      Delete
  7. Awesome interview--good questions, LOL

    ReplyDelete