Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Interview with Kenya Wright

Hi! Thanks so much for coming today.
Tell us a bit about your book.

            My book Fire Baptized is an urban fantasy novel where humans have forced supernaturals to live in caged cities. The main character Lanore is a supernatural college girl that stumbles upon a murder in progress and catches the killer’s attention.
             There is also a romantic sub-plot. Lanore’s first love interest is a Were-cheetah named MeShack. He’s half black/ half Iranian, bulging with muscle. Her second love interest is Zulu. He’s a mysterious revolutionary that she befriended. Both guys help her find the killer.

Is this part of a series?

            Yes. This is Book One of the Habitat series. The second book The Burning Bush will be released July 2012 and remains in Lanore’s point-of-view.

What did you find the hardest part of writing it to be?

            Editing the book was the most exhausting part of the process. I’m a perfectionist. Typos freak me out. I wake up in a cold sweat at the possibility of a book error.

What was your favorite part?

            Building the world was my favorite part of the writing process. I spent several months drawing maps, creating unique cultures for each species, developing a legal system, and even making the counterculture groups. I had so much fun that there are two huge binders that only consist of Fire Baptized’s world building.

Rate your story in terms of steaminess (Make up your own fun scale here)
Undergarment Scale of Steaminess
Granny Pants- *
Maternity Undies- **
Bikini Cut Panties- ***
Thongs- ****
Edible Panties- *****
Fire Baptized would fall under the Thong rating.
           
Who is your favorite romance author?

            Jeaniene Frost is my favorite romance author. Ilona Andrews and Karen Moning are close seconds.

What is your favorite romance book or series?

            My favorite romance series is the Kate Daniels series by Ilona Andrews. Although the romance takes time to develop, once the relationship happens it is hard to put the books down.

Who is your favorite romance character? If you could go on a date with that person, what would you do? Details please! *wink*

            I apologize, but I must have two favorite romance characters on a date! (Hey, it’s my dream, right?)         I would go on a date with Curran (Kate Daniels series) and Barrons (Fever series).
            We begin in a large Jacuzzi. Lit lavender scented candles surround us while a blindfolded man plays a saxophone. The bubbles tickle our chins. Chocolate strawberries lounge in a crystal bowl on my right. On my left, an expensive bottle of Pinot Noir in platinum tipped wine glasses.
            The guys battle over who feeds me strawberries. I allow Curran to feed me, and Barrons to massage my feet.

Boxers or Briefs?

            Briefs! I love the way the material wraps around a man’s thighs and behind. Boxers are too floppy and unattractive. Unless they are see-through, then I’m willing to make an exception.

What is next for you?

            I have two projects. I am currently working on the sequel of Fire Baptized, which is The Burning Bush. I am also releasing an anthology of erotic romance short stories called The Habitat after Dark. The collection will be based around my habitat series and involve those characters. Both projects will be released in July 2012.


What were your first impressions of each other?

Lanore:
(For MeShack) We met as kids so I remember thinking he was super cool!
(For Zulu) I was so impressed with his commanding voice and ability to lead the Rebels.
MeShack:
 Even though I was just eight, I wanted to mate with her.
Zulu:
 Her intelligence blew me away.

What are your favorite parts about each other?
Lanore:
MeShack’s singing voice is a finely tuned instrument.
Zulu’s dark blue eyes with gold flecks immediately capture me, every time I see him.

MeShack:
I am a breasts man, and could spend all day devouring Lanore’s nipples.
Zulu:
 Lanore’s scent is captivating. Lavender radiates from her skin. At times I just lay in my bed, smelling her pillow and thinking about her.

What’s next for you?
Lanore:
Law School.
MeShack:
Recording an album for my band.
Zulu:
Taking my organization Mixbreeds for Equality to the next level.

                Kenya Wright always knew she would be famous since the ripe old age of six when she sung the Michael Jackson thriller song in her bathroom mirror. She has tried her hand at many things from enlisting in the Navy for six years as a Persian-Farsi linguist to being a nude model at an art university.
        However, writing has been the only constant love in her life.
        Now Kenya is publishing her first book, Fire Baptized, the urban fantasy novel she always wanted to read. This novel is the first book in a series.
        Will she succeed? Of course.
        For she has been coined The Urban Fantasy Queen, the Super Iconic Writer of this Age, The Lyrical Genius of Our Generation. Granted, these are all terms coined by her, within the private walls of her bathroom as she still sings the Michael Jackson thriller song.
            Kenya Wright currently resides in Miami with her three amazing, overactive children, a supportive, gorgeous husband, and three cool black cats that refuse to stop sleeping on Kenya’s head at night.

                Since the 1970’s humans have forced supernaturals to live in caged cities. Silver brands embedded in their foreheads identify them by species: a full moon for Vampires, a crescent moon for Shifters, a pair of wings for Fairies, and the list goes on, for each supernatural species has been tagged and categorized by humans.
            Lanore Vesta is marked with a silver X, the brand of Mixbreeds, second-class citizens shunned by society. She stays to herself, revealing her ability to create fire only during emergencies. All she wants to do is graduate college and stop having to steal to survive. But when she stumbles upon a murder in progress, she catches the attention of a supernatural killer. Now all she wants is to stop finding dead bodies in her apartment.
            Enlisting help from her Were-cheetah ex-boyfriend Meshach and a new mysterious friend named Zulu, she is steered through the habitat’s raunchy nightlife. But their presence sometimes proves to be more burden than help, as they fight for her attention.   
            While the corpses pile up, and the scent of blood fills the air, Lanore is left wondering: will she find the psycho or die trying?


Kenya will be giving away a $10 Amazon.com gift certificate to one randomly drawn commenter during the tour. Be sure to follow the tour here


9 comments:

  1. I appreciate the fact that you are a perfectionist. Glitches often take you out of the story.

    Thank you for the interview.

    marypres(AT)gmail(DOT)com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much Carrie Ann for having me on your blog!! I love your books and am a BIG FAN!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am really glad you are planing a sequel. This story sounds really awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like the undergarment scale of steaminess. My preferences are probably bikini to THONG level. Love those descriptors.

    catherinelee100 at gmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like a really neat story! Thanks for sharing. I loved the bits about "what's next" for your characters.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I enjoyed the interview. Sounds like a good book.
    bn100candg(at)hotmail(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Interesting interview. I haven'r read any of your books, yet, but I'm excited to now and if I win the GC, I can afford it, too!
    Thanks for offering the GC,
    MJB
    msmjb65 AT gmai DOT com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for doing this tour! I'll try to follow!
    OceanAkers@aol.com

    ReplyDelete