Thursday, March 15, 2012

Interview with Patricia Yager Delagrange

Hi! Thanks so much for coming today. Tell us a little bit about yourself.

I was born and raised across the bay from San Francisco in the small city of Alameda (80,000 people) where Moon Over Alcatraz takes place.  I studied at the University of Madrid for my junior year and got my B.A. in Spanish from U.C. Santa Barbara.  I went on the acquire my Master’s degree in Education at Oregon State University.
I am married with two teenage kids, one boy and one girl.  I live with two very large chocolate labs who accompany me on the couch while I’m writing.  Unfortunately my big 1,425-pound Friesian horse has to live away from home at the barn in the Oakland hills.

Tell us a bit about your book.

Moon Over Alcatraz is about a couple who lose their child at birth then each of them finds solace elsewhere, and instead of coming together they grow apart.  The main character, Brandy, has to jump through some pretty heavy-duty emotional hoops to get her life back together.
Is this part of a series?
No, it is not.  All four of my books are stand-alone fiction:  3 women’s fiction and 1 men’s fiction.  I know that’s not a legal “genre” but that’s what the book is.

What did you find the hardest part of writing to be?

The hardest part of writing for me is thinking up the idea for a book in the first place.  I never had writer’s block until I wanted to write my fourth novel.  I was completely stumped.  So, I had a phone conversation with my personal editor and she and I brainstormed ideas.  That helped me out immensely.  Writing is such a solitary endeavor.  You find yourself needing to “talk” to a real live person sometimes.  Online writer’s groups are invaluable but speaking with someone on the phone, for me, is really quite different.

What was your favorite part?

My favorite part of writing is when I start a book and I’m going a 100 miles an hour trying to get all my thoughts onto the computer and I lose track of time and place.  It’s awesome.  I travel to another world.

Rate your story in terms of steaminess (Make up your own fun scale here)

Oh, I’d say Moon Over Alcatraz is a 3 on a scale of 1 to 5 because it has several sex scenes but they’re pretty typical Lifetime Movie sex scenes, nothing really graphic.

Who is your favorite romance author?

I mostly read women’s fiction with romantic elements or just men’s fiction with romantic elements.  In other words, Richard Paul Evans and Nicholas Sparks.  I also love Jodi Picoult and Barbara Freethy.

What is your favorite romance book or series?

I love Debbie Macomber’s Cedar Cove series because I enjoy following the same individuals through time, one book at a time.

Who is your favorite romance character? If you could go on a date with that person, what would you do? Details please! *wink*

I’d love to go on a date with Tom Booker from The Horse Whisperer.  He’s my hero.  To be able to take an emotionally battered horse and help him get to the point where he loves his owner again was awesome.  I’d love to pick his brain and if he really DID look like Robert Redford, that would make it even more fun!

Boxers or Briefs?

Briefs

What is next for you?

I’m editing my fourth book Brenda’s Wish.  It’s about a single mom raising her 17-year-old son in San Francisco.  Her ex-husband, who’s a cop, is murdered and both she and her son are suspects.  The story is tangled yet emotional and has a happy ending.

What were your first impressions of each other?

In Moon Over Alcatraz Brandy and Weston are already married when the story begins because this is not your “typical” romance book.  They’re very much in love with each other and physically attracted to one another, a gorgeous couple.  But they turn away from each other in their grief because she’s so depressed she’s closing down, and he needs someone and she’s just not able to be there for him.

What are your favorite parts about each other?

Brandy is attracted to Weston’s looks because he’s a big guy, dark hair, works out, has a large physical presence, and he’s very handsome.  Brandy has long, dark wavy hair, sexy curves, and big boobs, along with being pretty and smart.

What’s next for you?

I’m sending out query letters, looking for an agent for my third book Taken Away.  It’s about a young veterinarian whose wife and 9-month-old daughter disappear.  The FBI are looking for them and they can’t be found, so he moves to Iowa to take over his grandfather’s vet practice and finds love...and much more.



2 comments:

  1. Hi Carrie Ann! Hi Patricia!
    Thanks for doing this interview. I love reading about other authors, and seeing a bit of the person behind the stories.

    I like that you are creating a new genre, too. Men's Fiction... I think you're onto something, there. :) Good luck with Moon Over Alcatraz!
    Cheers!
    Greg

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Patti. Another nice interview. Not limiting yourself to stereotypical ideas and creating another genre is the type of thinking that leaders are made of.

    Give Maximus a hug for me when you see him. I didn't know that he is housed elsewhere. Bet he misses you. Does he ever pout after you leave? Hehehe. Magnificent creature. Probably way too independent to be subject to our little insecurities.

    Congrats on all your achievements.

    ReplyDelete