Wednesday, April 18, 2012

An Interview with Aine P Massie


Hi! Thanks so much for coming today. Tell us a little bit about yourself.
Hi Carrie Ann. Thanks for having me visit. J
I’m a part time author and full time mom. Thanks to the military I’ve lived in a few places, though never over seas *pout* My oldest two and youngest children were all born in the same state. The other 3 weren’t, lol. When I’m not writing or chasing children I’m reading. I love, love, love to read. I’ve always had a particular fascination with vampires, mythology, and the unusual. When I can escape enjoy . . . oh yes, reading, playing, ritual, a good cappuccino, and working with her healing stones (did I mention reading? ;) ).

Tell us a bit about your book.
My first book Blood’s Voice is the journey of Anya, a vampire with no memory, and her trials and loves as she attempts to navigate both her new life and deal with the vampire House that is obsessed with controlling her. Anya is a vampire that has a special gift in the form of her voice. She can command to the point of even killing if she chooses. She has the unfortunate distinction of being an aberration (a vampire that refuses to kill humans to survive - thus retaining her eye color and humanity). She has two (yes, count them, 2) lovers. Declán who’s a natural-born vampire hunter and Nicholas, who works along side Declán as Anya's guard and has been teased for playing superhero for the humans.
Anya spends a great deal of time learning humanity and trying to stay sane; no easy task with vampires hunting her and violent memories surfacing to torment and lessen her hold on sanity.

Is this part of a series?
Yes, Blood’s Voice is the first in the House Millar series, named for the vampire House that the core characters lead.

What did you find the hardest part of writing it to be?
Writing the flashbacks. Each one is traumatizing on a physical and emotional lever for Anya and as the one writing it all down, it’s hard to visualize the pain she has suffered.

What was your favorite part?
Hmm, that’s a hard one. Any where love and passion are displayed. Like here:
“But, is that really all you’ve thought about?”  I was instantly on my feet, pulling him to his. 
“Well,” he murmured against my lips as he began kissing me.  There was no restraint in his kisses.  He was pushing me toward his room, his body eager.  We barely made it through his door before he had my wrists pinned to the wall, lightly slamming me into it. 
A moan escaped my lips as I scrambled to regain my centre.  “Careful,” I tried to say but he wasn’t having it, his kisses were too hungry.  If I didn’t stop him now I wouldn’t be able, not yet . . .
In a flash, I spun so he was the one pinned to the wall, my body crushing against his.  His heat, his intoxicating and maddening scent pushing me further . . . the craving for him was so exquisite, yet painful.  His sapphire eyes blazed as his body arched towards me.  I pressed my lips to the moist skin of his throat, feeling the pulsing of his exotic, intoxicating essence.  I continued devouring his scent as I hungrily kissed down his throat to the powerful, quivering muscles of his chest.  Reveling in the power and haze his passions were flaming within me. 
I didn’t want to hurt him, just revel in his pleasures.  “Ah, I can’t!”  I shuddered as his cravings drove him further; he had not heard me.  He lifted me up, kissing eagerly down my throat.  Without conscious thought my legs wrapped around him – pulling me closer still. 

Rate your story in terms of steaminess (Make up your own fun scale here)
I’d have to say, two cuddles. The romances between Anya, Declán and Nicholas are loving (though there is a lot of destruction of clothing!) though the scene where the three become one for the first time is . . . tingle inducing!

Who is your favorite romance author?
Andrew Grey, Mary Calmes, or Joey W Hill. (Yes, I know that’s an odd list ;))

What is your favorite romance book or series?
Okay, I can’t even narrow down my fav author and you want series or book? Huh? Um . . . Right now would have to be, maybe, the Range series by Andrew Grey.

Who is your favorite romance character? If you could go on a date with that person, what would you do? Details please! *wink*
Oh, that so doesn’t work. My fav romance characters are gay guys. *whines* I’m the wrong gender for anything “fun” to happen. *pout*

Boxers or Briefs?
On my heroes? Oh, man . . . I want my men ready access, so commando all the way!

What is next for you?
Continuing the House Millar series with Blood Bound this spring and then Glamour Blade, book three, in fall ’12.

What were your first impressions of each other?
Anya:  I didn’t really think much of Declán right at first. I chalk that up to being nervous and the events surrounding or first meeting. With Nicholas, I was terrified. I’d never met another vampire so I had no clue what to expect and then there’s this beautiful, well mannered man standing in my doorway, kissing the back of my hand. *swoon*
Nicholas:  Sadly, the first time I met Declán I only saw him as Anya’s pet human. I know that’s awful but, sadly, it’s true. He seemed nice enough but he was competing for her attention and, well, he’s human. I sort of got held up on those points. Thankfully he waited me out and wiggled his way into my heart.
With Anya that’s a harder question to answer. Do you mean the first time literally or the first time, this time? You see, I met her sixty years ago and thought she was the most beautiful creature I’d ever seen. Of course, I thought the same this time around but I was more worried about why she didn’t seem to know me and about if I could win her heart again.
Declán:  Gorgeous. Mysterious. Not like others. I didn’t know what it was about either of them but I was immediately drawn – I hid it from Nic for a long time though. I know my answers way shorter than Nic’s but . . . Anya I felt like I had to know her. Nic I just wanted to know, if that makes sense.

What are your favorite parts about each other?
Anya:  Each of my loves are special and unique but one thing they both are, and that I just love about them, is passionate. Whether it’s with their hearts or in practice, they give all of themselves to what ever their focus is.
Nicholas:  I would have to say their hearts. Anya is so loving and compassionate, to the point of self sacrifice at times. Declán’s just so laid back and open that he loves us both without reservation or restraint.
Declán:  Would it be too cheeky to say their fangs *huge grin* No? Seriously, it would have to be the way Anya looks at the world and the way Nic looks at us, like we’re the most precious tings in his reality. It’s kinda weird to have two people love you as much as I know they do me. But, since I love them just the same, it works out for us.
What’s next for you?
Ah, for that you have to check out our continuing story in Blood Bound. ;) Don’t worry, it’ll be out soon. Promise.

About the Author

Áine P Massie is originally from Florida, she now lives in Wisconsin where she works on her House Millar series full time while raising four children (the term herding cats comes to mind). Her major in College was Childhood Education (0-5) with a minor study in Deaf Culture/ASL. She is also a Wiccan priestess dedicated to the gods, family, and love.
A lifelong reader, Áine has always had a particular fascination with vampires, mythology, and the unusual. When she can escape from her children and books, she enjoys . . . oh yes, reading, playing, ritual, a good cappuccino, and working with her healing stones.
Her first published work came in high school where she was part of a writing and drama group. But, she’s been reading the likes of Shakespeare and Poe since late elementary school and enjoys most forms of fiction. Blood’s Voice has been a long time in coming and with its publication (June 2011) Áine embarked on a new chapter in her life.

Social Contact


Anya Millar had no memory of her life or an instruction manual on how to navigate the insane world of humans, biting, and reality. Instead, Anya has had to learn to navigate the world of love, life, and sanity while avoiding those that would see her dead or enslaved.
This is the ongoing journey of Anya and Nicholas, human loving vampires and the human they love, Declán. What makes it all more complicated is that they are abominations in their own world and Declán is a natural born vampire hunter called a Guardian.
Anya must come to terms with who she is and her missing past, Nicholas must win back the object of his eternal love while dealing with new cravings in his silent heart, and Declán must learn to destroy the very creatures that he has unequivocally given his heart and blood.

Excerpt

 I spent a long time mingling and observing the humans.  They are always so interesting to watch, especially when excited.  I turned the corner to head to the larger dance floor when I notice Declán talking to a girl I had never seen before.  This would not have bothered me except that at the same moment I saw her I also caught her scent.  Not human!  Not wanting to cause a scene and draw unneeded attention to what I am, I chose to – against my better judgment – head over without calling to Nicholas or Declán.
“Ah, ah, ah, I wouldn’t do that if I be you,” the strange female streamed, where I could hear but he never could have.
“Get away from him,” I growled in return.  She moved away a little but relatively stayed her ground.  Moving in to wrap one arm around his waist, I pulled him behind me.  “You are not welcome here and especially not near this one!”  I was so furious I was vibrating slightly.
“A new pet,” she purred.  “You’ve always been such a strange little creature, haven’t you?  We just be talking.”  She looked amused, maybe she did not understand the danger she was facing.  “Weren’t we pet?”
“Mmmm, yesh ma’am,” Declán slurred.  “Is okay Anya, we weres just talkin’.”  Glancing back just enough to see his face I suddenly became aware of two things; first, he was dazed looking and secondly, he had two small wounds on the left side of his neck.
 “You bit him?”  I could hear the others converging on our position now.  “You will never bite anyone ever again!” I growled.  I could feel myself losing control; I needed to get Declán away, quickly.
Shifting into a half crouch, I felt Nicholas slide in beside me doing the same.  “Geoff, Peony, take Declán, now, and get him out of here.”
Nicholas put a restraining hand on my arm, “Not here.  Out back.”
Fine.  “We three will go out back to talk,” I commanded.  “Bog leat soith!” I snarled at the female.  I could hear Nicholas sigh but did not have time to find out why right then.
‘She’ moved gracefully toward the back door without a pause.  Her eyes kept the unfocused glaze my voice often caused even as she turned to face us once in the alley.  “This be totally unnecessary.  I wouldn’t kill your pet.”  I could feel my teeth descend without conscious command as I continued to growl; she finally appeared troubled.
“Why are you here?” snapped Nicholas.
“I be sent to observe her,” she said twitching her chin at me.  “I just wanted to know more about her.”
“She bit Declán, Nicholas,” I hissed.
“It just be easier for me to enter their mind and memories that way,” she answered.  “It won’t damage him, don’t stress so child.”
“You are dead, do you hear me.”

Lights started flashing around me for a moment and then I was no longer in the alley.  Where am I?  Looking around, I was in a strange octagonal room.  I could feel panic and fear within but with a sort of residual, not quite real sensation.  Walls, ceiling, and floors were all a rough silvery metal.  I was restrained to the wall at my wrists, chest, waist, and ankles; there was also some kind of strange gag in my mouth.  The gag was not painful but it had a protrusion that made it where my teeth were locked in one position.  I could smell blood, fresh human blood but could see no one but the same strange woman I was just growling at; she was standing in front of me sneering.  The only sound, other than our breathing was when she spoke.  “You really should be more cooperative child.  It wouldn’t be so painful if you just behaved better.”  Searing pain and light. . .

“Anya, Anya!”  Nicholas was shaking me roughly and yelling my name.
I could not seem to find my voice; I just stared into his eyes, which reflected the horror I felt in my own.
“What happened Nic?” asked someone, the voice sounded odd in my ears.  I could hear others.  Star?  Geoffrey?  Declán?  Who was there?
Regaining my bearings was not easy.  I slowly stood up and looked around more carefully.  It was Nicholas, Star, and Jonathan.  “What. . .  Where did she go?”
“How did you do that Anya?” Nicholas murmured.  He looked fearful, as if he might bolt any moment.  Why would he look like that at me?
“Do what?  Why are you all looking at me that way?  Where is Declán?  Are Geoff and Peony still with him?”  I could hear the panic still thick in my voice, I would have to calm before I could get anywhere with them, sigh.
Deep breath.
“Nicholas, what happened, please?”
“Anya, you reduced her to ashes after snarling something.  I couldn’t make it out.  Then you screamed like you were in severe pain and crumpled to the ground crying.”
I wiped at my face and sure enough, my face was drenched with blood tears.  “S-Sorry, I – I don’t know what happened.  I was here and then the flashing started and I was chained to a wall and ‘she’ was there.  Then all I remember is cutting and searing pain.”
“Flashing?” Jonathan asked.
“Yes, bright flashing lights, like strobe lights.  She was talking and then hurting me.  That is not important right now though.  Where is Declán?  How bad is he hurt?”  I did not really want to dwell on the pain and fear I had just felt and to an extent still felt.
“I healed the bite though he is still a little weak.  He does not remember exactly what happened to him though,” Nicholas said gently.  A strange look passed between him and Jonathan, almost fast enough for me to not notice . . . almost.  “We need to get you out of here and back home.  Declán is already home but he is not alone, don’t worry.  His parents just think he got sick while out. . .  Geoff told them you were ill too.”
Don’t worry he says, ha, but I did allow him and Jonathan to take me home for now.
Nicholas and Jonathan both came in and walked with me upstairs to my room.  Odd, Jonathan never comes in like this.  “What are you two not telling me?  I feel like you two are guards or something.”
“Well, I guess we are in a way,” Jonathan murmured nervously.  “You terrified Nic here and well, I’m a touch worried about you both right now.  I saw the ashes Anya; you did that just by screaming at her.  You. . . shattered her or something.”
“I am sorry, to you both, but I do not know what I did.  I told you what I remember.  That room and the pain and whoever she was. . .  I am still shaking from it.”  I held out my hands to show them the trembling.
“Well, at least we know what they meant about lethal.”  Nicholas had this uncanny look of wonder or awe as he spoke, “You were truly frightening, terrible yet glorious.” 



Aine is giving away a copy of Blood Voice to one lucky person who comments and leaves their email address!!

14 comments:

  1. commando all the way - snicker snicker.

    great post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. 2 sexy men? I want nothing between me and them ;)
    Thanks for dropping by Daryl!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Commando for me too! Enjoyed the interview and excerpt!
    jennyrlowery@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by Jennifer. Glad you like

      Delete
  4. We are all commando here, LOL.
    Your excerpt was fantastic. I have both of your books and I'm excited to read them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. TY Brenda!!! ♥ *hugs* Hope you enjoy!

      Delete
  5. Thanks for having me by Carrie Ann. Love your blog (and your books)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree...commando! Great interview. :)

    Marika

    ReplyDelete
  7. Replies
    1. You only have to worry about her if you decide to hurt those she loves/protects or do what Ashley did...
      Don't worry Maggie, you're a good girl, she'd like you LOL

      Delete
  8. I enjoyed the interview and loved the sound of Blood's Voice. I had to laugh because I've read books by all your favorite authors. That must make me odd. *grin*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *grins* Nope! We're just more awesome, that's all, lol.
      Glad you enjoyed!

      Delete
  9. Great excerpt and interview. The book sounds very good.

    bn100candg(at)hotmail(dot)com

    ReplyDelete