Thursday, April 19, 2012

An Interview with Daryl Devore

Hi! Thanks so much for coming today. Tell us a little bit about yourself.
I'm an erotic romance writer with three published books. I live in rural Canada with husband, 2 cats and a huge saltwater aquarium, which we call the cat's TV. In the summer, I love to garden and in the winter I hibernate.

Tell us a bit about your book.
I am currently working on an erotic contemporary fantasy. I hit my first case ever of writer's block and have been struggling through it to get back to the story.
It's about a female vice-president of a big corporation who has an affair with the voice she hears at a sex toys convention. Gee – can't see how I got myself into a problem with this one.

Is this part of a series?
No. I don't write series.  But it fascinates me how people can keep a storyline going on for long. I've got a short attention – oh – look a chicken.

What did you find the hardest part of writing it to be?
At the moment, writing is the hardest part. But when the words get flowing again, it'll be my nemesis – critiques. I put the book out there to be critiqued and I know people will find things wrong or have suggestions but it just digs at me. I have to be in a really special mood – my happy place – to look at a critique. Nobody in my current group has rudely ripped into a story, but it happened a couple of times at a different – nameless – group and I guess I'm still on edge. Or else it's my pride that gets in the way.

What was your favorite part?
Eyes – those are my favourite part. But I'm guessing you're talking about writing.  That would be letting my characters tell me their story. When I started writing my latest – which I have to call it that as I don't have a title yet – anyway – when I started writing it – the female characters get into a cab…. Oh let's just show you
After a diet conscious meal followed by a calorie-loaded dessert, we stood outside waiting for a taxi. Kat looked at me with a mellowed-from-too-much-wine gaze and a slightly goofy grin on her face. "Do you trust me?" Her dark chocolate colored eyes met my gaze as she fluttered her eyelids.
I've seen that demeanor before. It means nothing but trouble. I was a bit wary – okay – a lot wary. Last time she'd gawked at me like that and asked the same brainless question we ended up at a frat house beer slosh during Homecoming - and I wasn't even in college anymore.
I checked my Blackberry for messages. "Is this going to get me arrested? Again."
What I didn't know was where that cab was going? I stared at the screen for a while until sex toys convention popped into my head. And it is sooooo embarrassing that's what popped into my head.

Rate your story in terms of steaminess
Scorching – as in lick finger and touch butt and steam will sizzle off.  I don't leave a lot of details out. My characters have been into BDSM, threesomes and my current female lead one is playing with sex toys.

Who is your favorite romance author?
I am going to so get into trouble here. I read mysteries – prefer old English murder mysteries – Agatha Christie, Dorothy L Sayers.
I read "romances" from stories I critique at my group and have enjoyed so many that picking one of the group is going to get me in trouble with the rest of the memebers.

What is your favorite romance book or series?
Can I offer up a plate of homemade chocolate chip cookies instead of answering this question?

Who is your favorite romance character? If you could go on a date with that person, what would you do? Details please! *wink*
Dinner at Derek Davenport's NY penthouse.
Every detail was carefully planned, from the white china dishes, to the gleaming silverware, to the numerous crystal wine glasses that sat by each plate. Silver candlesticks held tall white candles whose flames added a softness to the room’s atmosphere. A centerpiece of white roses, edged with silver was displayed in a cut-crystal bowl. The crisp white linen tablecloth had fine threads of silver woven through. On both plates a hand printed copy of the evening’s menu.
Dinner – prepared by Chef William Davis
Pistachio Paté with garlic toasted baguette bites
Portabella Mushrooms and Sweet Potato Crisps served in a cream sauce
Grapefruit Mint Sorbet
Warmed Vichyssoise garnished with chives
Grilled Romaine Hearts with Parmesan and a red wine vinaigrette
Beef Tenderloin with Parsnips and Black-Truffle Butter
Dark chocolate Soufflé with a Raspberry Mousse
Coffee   
Hawaii Island Kona Mauka
Wines
White     Montrachet (2006, Chassagne, France)
Red         Cabernet Sauvignon (2002, Napa Valley, USA)
Champagne
Perrier-Jouët Grand Brut  (1999, Champagne, France)
           And after that – I'd slip into his strong arms and we'd dance to the mellow sounds emanating from his private pianist. Once the piano player leaves, I'll loosen Derek's silk bowtie, drag it off his neck and toss it over my shoulder. Then I'll start at the top button of his shirt…..going to stop there – erotic writer here – not sure how much detail you want – snicker, snicker.

Boxers or Briefs?
Derek Davenport in A Kept Woman – wore boxers
William Lobos in Sexy Red – wore briefs
And Prince Malack in Black Dorn – went commando if I remember my history
Hawkyns in my latest – at the moment he's a voice and voices don't wear underwear.

What is next for you?
I'm going to finish writing this story and then wait until a word, a thought or a song snags the next moment of inspiration and off I'll go again. Have no clue what erotic genre it will be – and am curious to find out.

What were your first impressions of each other?
Capri – My first impression was that I was going insane. I kept hearing this voice in my head. I'm a corporate vice-president – we don't hear voices!
Hawkyns – I saw a beautiful woman who had closed herself off from love and romance so she would never again be hurt by someone she trusted and loved.

What are your favorite parts about each other?
Capri – The sensuousness of his voice. That's all I have at present. Oh, and I guess his sarcastic sense of humour.
Hawkyns – Favourite parts – I love her breasts and eyes and the way she moans when I touch her.

What’s next for you?
We're both not really sure – Daryl hasn't written that part yet.

Other Books – available at http://www.newdawningbookfair.com/
(or Amzon, Smashwords etc.)
A Kept Woman – erotic contemporary
Desperately unemployed, Arianne, answers an ad that reads Woman Wanted. With miniscule hours and excellent pay, she accepts the position of courtesan to Derek, a handsomely dashing man, whom she discovers is a billionaire. Engaging in a game of cat and mouse, will they drive each other crazy…or will they fall in love first?

Sexy Red Hood – erotic contemporary
“Go save your Grandmother.” After learning her grandmother booked a cruise with a supposed gigolo and is squandering her inheritance, Esmeralda (Red) Hood boards Emerald Forest cruise ship to protect both. Grandmother's warning of Never trust a wolf in sheep's clothing leaves Red confused. Later, when she wakes up in a utility closet, hands and feet bound and emerald necklace missing, Red discovers the man she suspected is not only innocent but also the one she loves.

Black Dorn – erotic historical
Purchased to be trained as a courtesan, Branwyn arrives in a strange new land. A castle called Black Dorn. Her instructor, Duna Trea, is horrified by Branwyn's lack of knowledge of the relations between a man and his woman. Branwyn begins her daily lesson in the art of bedding a man.
Back from battle, Prince Malack rests near a brook to freshen before returning to the court of his father. His life is lonely. The noble woman chosen to be his bride rejected him and bedded his hated rival. Malack turned his anger and loneliness onto the focus of battle and increasing the power and wealth of Black Dorn.
Branwyn, lost and afraid, nears the handsome stranger standing by the brook and requests his help. Malack raises his eyes and his gaze settles onto the face of the woman who will be his queen.


Daryl is giving away a copy of A Kept Woman to a lucky person who comments. Be sure to leave your email address so we can get a hold of you!

23 comments:

  1. Fantastic interview, ladies! Daryl, so nice to get to know you better. You made me hungry with that menu, lol! And as someone who has had the pleasure of critting your work you have nothing to worry about! Your writing is amazing! Thanks for sharing with us!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for such a wonderful compliment.

      Delete
  2. Thank you for the wonderful interview and the great contest!

    rjs4444us @ gmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOL, this is one of the best interviews, Daryl. I really enjoyed it. You are a very funny person, hehehehe. I wish we lived closer together so we could hang out. LOL, I bet we'd do a lot of laughing.
    brenda_dyer212(at)hotmail(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a creative interview, you two! Daryl, you always entertain me. I love reading what you write.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the kind words, Patricia.

      Delete
  5. What a great interview, Daryl! I enjoyed learning more about you and your characters.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great Interview. Wishing you many sales.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wonderful interview! Ive read Sexy Red Hood and Black Dorn. Both were very good! Id love to read A Kept Woman. Sounds great! Wishing you all the best! :)
    shadowluvs2read(at)gmail(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  8. I went to a toys convention and was taken by one of the presenters...she was my fantasy for weeks! dave94015 at gmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very fun interview. The book sound good.

    bn100candg(at)hotmail(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  10. I really enjoyed your interview. I love your sense of humor. Your new story sounds intriguing..a voice and sex toys. Yum! All of the sudden I envision mirrors, some "smoke", a set of eyes, and sweaty fun.

    I loved Black Dorn! Great book. I was hesitant at first as it was not my normal read. But I am so glad I read it. It knocked my socks off...along with a few other articles of clothing.

    Mel

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Mel, Always nice to see you. Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  11. Loved the interview, Carrie! Daryl it was great to get to know you better and learn about your books.
    Off to get Black Dorn right now! It sounds like just what I want to read this weekend. Thanks for sharing.

    Krystal Shannan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey that's wonderful - hope you enjoy it.

      Delete