Wednesday, May 9, 2012

An Interview with Kristine Cayne




Hi! Thanks so much for coming today. Tell us a little bit about yourself.

Hi Carrie Ann. I’m so happy to be visiting you and your readers today. I’ve been writing since about 2006 and published my first book, Deadly Obsession, in January. Since then, I’ve published two short stories in anthologies, and I just released Deadly Addiction. I’m originally from Montreal, Canada, but now I live in the Pacific Northwest. I don’t think I’ll ever get used to the rain. I don’t think I want to.

Tell us a bit about your book.

My new release is Deadly Addiction. Here’s a quick description:
A maverick cop with nothing to lose. A native warrior with everything on the line...
Rife with crime and drugs, the Blackriver Reservation is a powder keg. When a radical sovereigntist lights the fuse, two natural enemies join forces to save a nation. But will their forbidden attraction bring them together—or blow them apart?

Is this part of a series?

Yes, it’s the second book in my Deadly Vices romantic suspense series. It’s a loosely connected series where the characters are friends. The books can be read out of order.

What did you find the hardest part of writing it to be?

The hardest part is making the time! But seriously, I enjoy writing the draft. I also enjoy editing. But both are incredibly difficult when the muse isn’t talking.

What was your favorite part?

My favorite part is when I have a scene in my head and it pours out through my fingers as though it has a life of its own. This doesn’t happen as often as I’d like.

Rate your story in terms of steaminess 

1 Read aloud to Grandma
2 Tween crush
3 Is it hot in here?
4 Get me a man, now!
5 Any object will do J

I like to write gritty suspenseful stories that are as realistic as possible in terms of how the characters would behave, talk, and think. If I’m realistic and gritty with the violence, I have to be the same with the sex. So, on this scale, I’d say Deadly Obsession and Deadly Addiction rate a 4. My short stories, because they are in anthologies, are by necessity much sweeter (1-2).

Who is your favorite romance author?

I have many! Cherry Adair, Suzanne Brockmann, JR Ward, Sherrilyn Kenyon, Cindy Gerard, Larissa Ione, etc., etc. J

What is your favorite romance book or series?

At the moment, my favorite series is the Black Dagger Brotherhood by JR Ward.

Who is your favorite romance character? If you could go on a date with that person, what would you do? Details please! *wink*

You know, that’s kind of a tricky question. Most of the men I find exciting in books are men I’d never want to meet in person. They’d probably scare me half to death. LOL.
The only romance character that stayed in my mind long after I read the book is Jamie Fraser from the Outlander series. If I were to go on a date with him, well, the first thing I’d have to do is bring him to the present. I’m not sure I could handle life in the 1700’s! We’d go see a romantic movie, then have a sumptuous dinner at the Space Needle so he could see the city of Seattle and the surrounding mountains. Then we’d go to a hotel where there’d be a lot of “mmphmm.” J

Boxers or Briefs?

Boxers

What is next for you?

I’m working on a 15K romantic suspense story for an anthology due to come out this summer. I’m also working on Deadly Betrayal, book 3 of my Deadly Vices series. This is Kaden’s story.


What were your first impressions of each other?

Rémi: Cute, peaches and cream. Utterly doable. (He grins, and Alyssa rolls her eyes.) Come on, sweetheart. The way you looked at me when I caught the box you were about to drop, I know you were thinking exactly the same thing.

Alyssa: Before you spoke, I thought, wow. I hope I get to work with someone who looks like him. Bronze skin, white teeth, and big green eyes. (Her smile fades to a frown). But then you opened your mouth. (She points to him with her thumb.) He’s such a flirt. Thinks he’s God’s gift to women.

Rémi: (Takes Alyssa’s hand and presses his lips to her wrist.) I’m not?

Alyssa: (Runs her hand along his thigh.) You’re definitely very gifted.

What are your favorite parts about each other?

Rémi: I love Alyssa’s… (Looks at her chest and licks his lips.)

Alyssa: (Slaps his arm and laughs.) She means about my personality! Anyways, my favorite thing about Rémi is his sense of humor. He always knows just what to say to make me smile.

What’s next for you?

Rémi: (Puts an arm around Alyssa’s shoulders.) We’re working on the next phase of our lives. Everything’s changed for both of us.

Alyssa: For the better.

Rémi: (Kisses her hair.) Yeah, for the better. 

Giveaway: Kristine is giving away these lovely earrings to someone who comments. Be sure to follow her on media sites in order to be entered! The links are below!



Kristine Cayne is fascinated by the mysteries of human psychology—twisted secrets, deep-seated beliefs, out-of-control desires. Add in high-stakes scenarios and real-world villains, and you have a story worth writing, and reading.

The heroes and heroines of her Deadly Vices series are pitted against each other by their radically opposing life experiences. By overcoming their differences and finding common ground, they triumph over their enemies and find true happiness in each other’s arms.
Today she lives in the Pacific Northwest, thriving on the mix of cultures, languages, religions and ideologies. When she’s not writing, she’s people-watching, imagining entire life stories, and inventing all sorts of danger for the unsuspecting heroes and heroines who cross her path.

Deadly Addiction is available at the following retailers:
Amazon print: http://amzn.com/0984903429
Amazon UK: http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B007WNTXR4
For information and links to Kristine’s other writing, check out Deadly Obsession (http://kristinecayne.blogspot.com/p/deadly-obsession.html) and Anthologies (http://kristinecayne.blogspot.com/p/anthologies.html) on her blog.
Kristine Cayne’s links:

A proud people. A nation divided.
Rémi Whitedeer, police officer turned substance-abuse counselor, dreams of restoring order to his tribe. Violence and crime are rampant throughout the unpoliced Iroquois reserve, and a civil war is brewing between the Guardians, a militant traditionalist group, and other tribal factions. As the mixed-race cousin of the Guardians’ leader, Rémi is caught in a no-man’s land—several groups lay claim to him, but all want him to deny his white blood.

A maverick cop on an anti-drug crusade.
When she infiltrated the Vipers to take down the leader of the outlaw biker gang responsible for her brother’s death, police sergeant Alyssa Morgan got her man. But her superiors think she went too far. Her disregard for protocol and her ends-justify-the-means ethics have branded her an unreliable maverick. To salvage her career, she accepts an assignment to set up a squad of native provincial officers on a reserve.

A radical sovereigntist bent on freeing a nation.
Decades of government oppression threaten the existence of the Iroquois Nation. But one man, Chaz Whitedeer, is determined to save his people no matter what the price, even if it means delving into the shadowy world of organized crime.

When Rémi and Alyssa uncover the Guardians’ drug-fueled scheme to fund their fight for true autonomy—a scheme involving the Vipers—Rémi must choose between loyalty to family and tribe or his growing love for Alyssa.

Can Rémi and Alyssa leave everything behind—even their very identities—for a future together?

Excerpt: 

Closing her eyes, Alyssa pressed the glass of water to her neck. “I can do the talking if that makes you feel any better.”

Although Rémi heard the words, it would have taken an act of Parliament to get him to respond.
The heat of her skin caused the condensation on the glass to liquefy. Like a tractor-beam, his gaze followed a drop of water as it slid down the long pale column of her neck, followed the curve of her right breast and slipped under the collar of her blue cotton T-shirt into the V of her cleavage. Oh fuck. He wanted to be that drop of water. He wanted to be snuggled between her warm ripe breasts. His cock swelled and lengthened, letting him know that it wanted to be there too.
He squeezed his eyes shut and willed his hard-on away. This wasn’t the time and certainly not the place for Mr. Happy to make an appearance. But the more he tried not to think about where the drop had gone, the more he did. He’d thought he was a leg man, but he knew the truth now. It had slapped him in the face. He was a breast man. An “Alyssa’s breasts” man, and he fucking wanted to see them, to feel them, to taste them. Right now.






12 comments:

  1. ROFL at your steaminess ratings! Movie ratings would be a lot more interesting if they'd adopt yours!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for commenting, Sally! I do love to shake things up :)

      Delete
  2. I love the interview, Kristine! Especially when we get to meet your characters. Off to grab myself a copy! :)
    ~Cate

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is so awesome, Cate! I'm sure you'll love Remi and Alyssa :)

      Delete
  3. Nice earrings. I'm diggin' J. R. Ward's series, too. Haven't read the latest yet, though. Have you?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Roxy! Thank you. I'm not much of a photographer, so the earrings are actually much prettier in person :) I haven't read Lover Reborn yet. It's still a little too pricey for me. But... my friend bought the hardcover and as soon as she's done with it, I just might nab it from her! LOL I'm not sure I can wait 6-12 months for the mass market pb to come out.

      Delete
  4. Great interview, Kristine! Okay, okay, I'll loan you "Lover Reborn" as soon as I finish it. I can't let you suffer! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha, you got me, Dana! I would love to borrow "Lover Reborn" once you're done with it. I'll even keep it in a protective plastic bag. :) Thank you for stopping by and commenting!

      Delete
  5. Hi! Great interview! Your characters sound like fun! I cant wait to read it. Congrats lady! Wishing you all the best!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shadow - Remi and Alyssa are very fun characters. Thank you so much for stopping by and commenting.

      Delete
  6. Very fun interview. The book sounds good.

    bn100candg(at)hotmail(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, bn100! Carrie Ann does ask a bunch of fun and intriguing questions :) Thank you for stopping by and commenting!

      Delete