Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Why can't I like them?


You all know I'm an avid reader. I can't help it. I love reading, and when I start reading, sometimes, I don't like the characters. Again, I can't help it. I was reading one book and was so pissed off while reading it I wrote this on Facebook:

"This heroine spends the entire time psychoanalyzing the hero and being a complete bitch only worrying about calories so she doesn't get fat again. She's judgmental, rude, and has her nose up in the air. Why am I supposed to like her again? Oh, right, she's supposed to have an HEA. Yeah, I just want her to get fat then get hit by a bus. Gah. I hate it when I hate a character. And no, I will not tell you the name of the book."

Yes, it sounds harsh. Yes, I sound like a bitch while writing it. But, honestly, it's my opinion. I invest myself in the characters I read. I want them to have their HEA. Well...most of the time. This time? I really wanted the hero to run off and find another woman or realize he's gay and find a man. Anything to make him happy. This guy wasn't perfect, but at least he tried. This woman? Not so much.

Not everyone is going to like every book and every character. I get that. But I really hate it when I hate a character. It almost never happens, but this time, I wanted to run her over with a bus.

I recommend a lot of books to readers when they ask because I love reading. However, I will NEVER tell you what book NOT to read. Each person will have a different opinion. I'd rather you go in knowing at least ONE person liked it than that someone hated it. Reviews can jade a reading, I know this.

But honestly? This book left a bad taste in my mouth. I HATE when that happens.

Oh, and NO, I won't tell you the book. Just know that there ARE amazing books out there. :-)


No comments:

Post a Comment