Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Writer Wednesday: Christine Warner



How Dare She/He?

You know what one of the best parts about being an author is? That you can have your characters do or say things that you’d never dare do or say in your own personal life.

Have you wanted to try bungee jumping, but know your chest would explode on the way down from fear? Do you want to race a car at well over a 100 miles an hour, but know you couldn’t be forced behind the wheel even if someone offered you a million dollars? Or, have you ever wanted to tell your boss you quit and while you’re on your way out the door tell him where to go and who to take along?  Lol

In my latest release, Two-Timing the Boss I let my heroine Farah Smith do some daring things I would like to try but would never have the courage. For instance, there is a scene where Farah and our hero Keller Donovan are discussing fears. Farah admits she’s afraid of heights and Keller confesses he doesn’t want to even think about not being in control. (and on a side note your author here admits she’s scared of heights too) So, wah-la, what is the perfect scene for Ms. Author to write…one where Farah has to face her vertical fears and Keller has to give the reins of control to another.

How did I accomplish this hair rising feat? My characters were on a little down time in Las Vegas and I know that there just happens to be a ride on top of one of the buildings there called THE BIG SHOT. 

Yes, you are strapped into a ride atop a T A L L building that shoots you straight up into the air about 160 feet in a matter of about 2 seconds and then you come flying down—not to earth, mind you—but back to the roof top of a T A L L building.  The scene was fun to write because just imagining it had my palms sweaty and my heart pounding.

Okay, so now you’re thinking, ‘sure, she made Farah face her fear of heights, but how did Keller face his fear of losing control?’

Well, let me tell you. Keller was strapped in the seat right alongside Farah (for support *wink*) and just by him being there, not able to control when the operator would start the ride or how Farah would react, and wondering if he could keep her calm if she lost it—he’d given up his own control.

Of course Farah so effortlessly pointed this out to him as well, because you know how men sometimes don’t always get the big picture.  Lol

So, tell me, what’s a fear you have, or still have, but you’ve taken a chance and either conquered it or tried to conquer it?

While you’re thinking of an answer, here’s a short blurb and excerpt from Two-Timing the Boss, my sexy, contemporary romance.


BLURB:

Farah Smith is on a mission: secure the funds for her twin sister’s surgery.  She’ll do whatever it takes to succeed.  Even if that means putting her values aside to work for a man she finds morally bankrupt.  But when the real Farah meets her new boss, she wonders if she’ll be able to resist his sexy advances long enough to help her sister.
From the blonde wig, to the stilettos strapped around her ankles, Farah’s a clone of Keller Donovan’s harem of past assistants.  She can’t believe she’s let herself be talked into the disguise, let alone working for the man planning to demolish the hospital her sister so desperately needs, but the salary he offers is the only way she’ll be able to afford her sister’s surgery.  The moment Farah meets Keller she realizes her most daunting task isn’t typing, spreadsheets or organizing travel arrangements, but fighting the growing attraction toward a man whose ruthlessness is legendary in the boardroom as well as the bedroom.
Determined not to end up in a disastrous marriage like his divorced parents, Keller believes all relationships should have a shelf life of sixth months or less.  But when he meets Farah, all bets are off.  He not only wants her to continue as his personal assistant, but his own private bed warmer.  Unfortunately, his offer of an affair doesn’t sit well with her fairytale dreams or the strangled hold gripping his heart.

EXCERPT:

These damn shoes would be the death of her.  She could read the headlines now:  Penniless P.A. Falls to her Death while on Job Interview.
Almost to her destination, with no more mishaps, her confidence surfaced.  Okay, maybe mastering this heel thing wouldn’t be such a big deal.  Her steps became light, almost bouncy.  Although she sensed Keller Donovan behind her, she didn’t let it deter her feeling of success.  She stepped onto the large black and red area rug, less than ten feet from her target.  The leather chairs.
“Oh!”  Farah’s spiky heel caught on the edge of the expensive rug.  Her legs shook and she shot her arms out from her sides, circling them like a bird about to take flight.  She fought to regain balance inside the ridiculous stilts strapped to her feet.  A brawl to the death.  Over when she looked down to see the rug coming up to kiss her face.  She threw out her hands, sucked in a breath and closed her eyes, scrunching her face as she prepared for impact.
But nothing happened.  There were stars all right, and a blazing jolt of electricity shot from her toes, up her legs, through her body and exited with the small gasp which escaped her lips.  Somehow Keller Donovan had grabbed her around the waist before she met the floor. 
Heat burned her cheeks.  He may have saved her body from bruises, but her ego, and whatever confidence she’d walked in with had shattered.
“Let’s not have an accident before your health benefits kick in.”  His breath
tickled her ear from behind.  Chills hugged her backbone.
His touch released an unsettling flutter in her abdomen.  She sucked in her stomach from the pressure of his strong arms wrapped around her middle, afraid to breathe. 


Two-Timing the Boss is available in print and digital format at:

And you can find me at:
My blog/website:  http://christine-warner.com/
Twitter under ChristinesWords: https://twitter.com/#!/ChristinesWords
My Facebook page…stop by and give it a LIKE to stay informed of what I have in the works: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Christine-Warner/143430882396013
Goodreads:  http://www.goodreads.com/author/show/5763713.Christine_Warner

I love to hear from readers and other authors J  And don’t forget to answer by question above….I’m curious J

And a HUGE THANK YOU for having me on your blog today Carrie Ann J



Christine is giving away a copy of either Two Timing the Boss or Some Like it in Handcuffs to a lucky commenter. Please leave your email address!

28 comments:

  1. Awesome excerpt! I can't wait to read Two Timing the Boss :) And as far as a fear I've conquered or tried to... Well, mostly I'm just afraid of heights. Like super afraid. The type of afraid that keeps me off of ladders. Yes, I'm a weenie. But when I get to the top of one (which hasn't been in a VERY long time), my feet get tingly, my knees go weak, my palms start to sweat... Basically, what I'm saying, is since I have a husband, I feel no reason to conquer this fear, lol! I'll watch him clean the gutters from the ground...and I'm okay with it, ha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OMG Niecey, you just described the way I feel when I'm to far off the ground. I've forced myself to go high...ladder, glider ride etc, but I've never conquered it. I find that I can get several feet off the ground if I'm closed in and can't see how high up I am...but when I was at the Mall of America I even had a hard time in the glass elevator and the open escalator...lol.

      Thanks so much for coming by fear of height sister! lol Hope you enjoy the book :)

      Delete
  2. Loved your excerpt--I have TTTB and am anxiously awaiting time to read it.
    I have a huge fear of heights--so much so that I will never fly. I help my husband in his painting company sometimes, but I won't do high latter work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've flown a few times and if I don't sit by the window and have a few drinks before boarding...I'm good to go! lol

      Thanks for coming by Brenda! I hope you enjoy Farah and Keller's story!

      Delete
  3. Great post, Christine! I call it PCA - perfect comeback ability. Love that characters can do and say things that we wouldn't (unless pushed really really really hard) in real life. Good luck with your book!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks so much Kristi...and I'll have to remember PCA...I like it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great post! Hmm, fears? Well, I hate spiders and I kill them to conquer that fear. hehe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL...way to grab hold of that fear head on Lisa! Spiders don't bother me, unless I have to try and kill them and they are above me on the ceiling..then I get a bit squeamish!

      Delete
  6. Great post, Christine. Is it a writer thing that we all seem to be afraid of heights? Like you and Niecey, I get dizzy, short of breath and tingly all over when I get far off the ground. Vertigo!! I did finally ride a roller coaster a few years ago. Once. That was enough.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How funny would that be if a fear of heights was a writer thing! lol I let my sister talk me into riding a roller coaster years ago too...and I think I did it all with my eyes closed!

      So glad you stopped by :)

      Delete
  7. Wonderful post, Christine! And as writers, our characters are capable of anything, aren't they? What a wonderful feeling of freedom. I found that I have a weird fear of jumping from high places. LOL Why would I jump, you ask? Well, I was once strapped into a harness with no way of falling out and climbed to the top of a 30 foot rock ledge...then told to jump. I knew in my head there was no way of getting hurt with the amount of ropes and cables attached to me. But my fear got in the way and I chickened out. Others did it. Some even jumped off the cliff backwards, screaming all the way down. I couldn't do it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just your little description made my limbs go numb...I wouldn't have been able to do it either. Don't feel bad, because I'm sure you are not alone.

      Thanks for coming by Sheri!

      Delete
  8. I'm not afraid of heights, which seems to be popular here. I don't mind spiders in my house (they eat the other bugs), but now that summer's over I'm back to walking the dogs before the sun comes up in the morning, and I freak out when I walk through a spider web in the dark, knowing that the spider is somewhere on my head. We have huge orb weaver spiders in Texas. I walked through one in my backyard one night when I went outside with the dogs. When I came in I asked my husband if the spider was on me and he said no. A few minutes later the #&$*% spider crawled over my shoulder. I still haven't forgiven him (my husband, not the spider). Anyway, loved the excerpt and can't wait to read the book!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just got shivers from your story Ally...I'm not normally afraid of spiders either..unless they are over my head or on me! lol

      Thanks for coming by...I hope you enjoy the book :)

      Delete
  9. *claps and confetti* It's so great seeing you again Christine! Hi Carrie Ann!
    Fears... Ok I'm terrified of spiders. I wouldn't even watch arachnophobia for years and still haven't seen one big scene- if you've seen that movie you can probably guess the scene. I was mid to late twenties before I killed my first spider-I didn't even touch it- Raid, you know. lol And...I cried. I can kill the creepy things better these days, but not willingly. The weird part is that I remember playing with Daddy Long Legs before the age of 6. I don't know why I because phobic of them, or when.

    You know my email girl and I already have SLIIHC. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You sound like my daughter Calisa! She would pay her brohters $1 to kill a spider if she found one in her room or bathroom...lol. I used to tease her that when she moved out she'd have to make friends with her neighbor so that they'd come over and kill her spiders! Too funny!

      So, I think we have issues with heights and spider today! lol

      Thanks for coming by and I hope you enjoyed Some Like it in Handcuffs when you get the chance to read it..and I hope you get the chance to read Two Timing the Boss too!

      Delete
  10. Hi Christine (she waves) Spiders don't generally bother me unless they're so big they can bark. What I hate are the June bugs. Ugh. Good post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heights are still my biggest issue! I can handle a spider (preferably one at eye level or lower..lol) and June bugs are okay too. So glad you came by Callie..thanks :)

      Delete
  11. I enjoyed the excerpt. I don't like snakes.

    bn100candg(at)hotmail(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not fond of snakes either, but luckily haven't run across to many in person! Thanks so much for coming by :)

      Delete
  12. Hi Christine! I love it when a heroine can indulge in all sorts of things the writer won't do herself. And ps...I'm not overly fond of huge bugs and weirdly large creatures, but they don't usually make me scream.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Creepy crawlies are never fun to have around are they? Kind of get the shivers just thinking about it....but nothing compares to being up high for me! Big shiver! lol

      So glad you stopped in Nancy...thank you :)

      Delete
  13. Loved the excerpt Christine!! As for fear, spiders. Definitely spiders. I was bitten by a black widow as a child *shudder*

    Not sure if giveaway is still happening but if so:
    lindsayavalon (at) gmail (dot) com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now that would be scary Lindsay....a small spider bite is bad enough, but a black widow...no words to describe it!

      So glad you could drop by and read the excerpt :)

      Delete
  14. great Blurb! Spiders is a no-no for me too. just plain creeeeeppy!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love the variety of answers...basically 3...spiders, heights and snakes....we all have similar fears.

      Thanks so much for coming by!

      Delete
  15. A HUGE THANK YOU to everyone who came by and commented and a HUGE CONGRATULATIONS to Nancy Jardine who has won an ebook copy of either Some Like it in Handcuffs or Two-Timing the Boss! YAY

    ReplyDelete
  16. two timing the boss sounds like a fun one! - regnod(at)yahoo(d0t)com

    ReplyDelete