Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Writing Challenges

I've been in a romance writing rut of shame. Yes, I like the label of that. Last week I did a 20k in 4 days challenge for myself. That means I wrote over 5,000 words a day for 4 days straight. I was exhausted after it in some respects and invigorated in others. I'm okay with 5k a day most days, but the idea of a challenge made it exciting.

I usually try and get at least 2k (2,000) words a day. That's less than a chapter in my case so sometimes I push it until I finish the chapter. I work seven days a week, but sometimes it's not all writing. Some days I'm working on organizing blog hops, Heartthrob Haven, and Fated Desires.

Yes, I run three major things other than writing.

Some days I'm plotting, working on guest posts, interviews and promo. Some days I editing, revising, or formatting. A writer's life isn't just writing down perfect words and BAM there's a book.


*laughs*

Yeah, that doesn't happen. I work at least ten hours a day most days. People ask how I can do all it is I do, it's because I work a lot. Too much in most cases. In my down time I read. So really, that's all I do. Write and read. And everything that has to do with writing. Most authors have their own ways of doing things, but if they are serious about writing, then they are never off. Our minds are always working, always plotting, always dreaming.

I know readers want books to come out every week and get upset when they have to wait for months for a book, but really, every part of the process takes time. A lot of time. Every time an author writes 1000 words, in their head they've done a small marathon or sprint. Their brains are on overdrive and it's tiring. It's work. But we love it.

So yes, we write a lot, but we love it. And yes, it takes time, but don't worry, it will be worth it.

6 comments:

  1. I personally think you have twin and there's two of you doing all the work you do. LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My daily goal is at least 2k but I don't have time to write every single day. My 40 hour plus regular job and my on-the-side one-day-a-week job take up most of my life and I work 7 days a week. Every week all year round. But I have to write. My brain doesn't give me a choice. :) So yes, we do it because we love it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know just what you mean - my entire house is a work zone for me. If I'm home, I'm working, whether at actually writing or on the many other related tasks. Being an author is definitely a full-time+ job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am always amazed at how dedicated you are. That has to be the reason you are a successful author. I actually like to read that fact that you are human. Any one who knows you and your work, knows how much you have dedicated to life to your talent and most of all, your fans. Thank you very much.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm constantly amazed at how much you accomplish! I know what you mean about doing nothing but write and read. My mom and friends call me on the phone to see what I've been up to, and I'm like, "I wrote some. And, um, wrote. And went on Facebook, I guess?" They must think I'm the most boring person on earth, lol.

    ReplyDelete